Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

how do you keep your lipo's?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

how do you keep your lipo's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you keep your lipo's?

Surprisingly, I have not recieved much feedback on this in another forum. Of the zillions of people that fly with lipo's how do you all store them-(what type of container do you keep them in when not in use??) I am looking for something really safe (fireproof I guess) to keep packs in and needed feedback on what I should be looking for.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: how do you keep your lipo's?

Target, Walmart, etc. sell "Sentry" (I think that's the name) fireproof safe's. They run about $45 for a decent size.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

The only time I've ever heard of LiPo's being a problem is after overcharging or over discharging the packs. I keep an eye on the packs while charging, use a Wattmeter and appropriate ESC voltage cutoff to ensure my setup doesn't over discharge. For storage, I don't worry about them.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto on the fire safe, makes it easy to transport them then too. I use the briefcase style, think it was like $19.00 at wally world. Also surplus metal ammo boxes, like 30 or 50 caliber, will work, or even something like pyrex glass ware or an old ceramic cookie jar would do. You just need something to contain the fire/explosion if something were to go wrong.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Tupperware boxes in shop refrigerator.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:10 PM
busted blade

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

The only time I've ever heard of LiPo's being a problem is after overcharging or over discharging the packs. I keep an eye on the packs while charging, use a Wattmeter and appropriate ESC voltage cutoff to ensure my setup doesn't over discharge. For storage, I don't worry about them.

Same here, I have never heard of a Lipo catching fire just sitting around on a shelf. If they were that unstable they would be outlawed and No store in the world would stock them or sell them.

I would bet that 99.9% of problems only occur because of improper Charging/discharge or a major crash/mishandling resulting in damage to the battery.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
dignlivn

I use a good ole U.S.A. ammo can.

Bob

Semper Fi.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
patnchris

Ditto on what others have said.....Thousands of lipos sit on store shelves and racks all the time, and I've never heard of one catching fire or exloding in the store. If this was a problem, I'll bet the store's insurance companywould mandate some type of special storage.....I do keep a close eye on them while charging and ones that are damaged, are, discarded, if they exibit any weird tendencies....Pat
Old 02-28-2008, 12:44 AM
iamman711

I have a question:

Today I bought the dx6i and AR6200 receiver. When I hooked it up to my Parkzone Typhoon 2 3D the battery got really hot, and the motor and ESC as well. Now that my li-po got superheated for like 15 seconds is this synonymous to the member's advice above about not using a li-po again if it is overcharged?

Am I best advised to dispose of this li-po now? There are no noticeable deformations to the physical structure and the battery is now cool to the touch. I hate to see a $60 battery go to waste but at the same time I don't want any accidents.

TIA
Old 02-28-2008, 02:46 AM
ozrcboy

Cheap steel tool box lined with a fire proof blanket.

It may be moot though - if by some chance one did go off presumably they all would, and in a sealed metal container that may well just become a bomb. Here's hoping I don't find out.

Agree with general comments though - risk times are charging and discharging. They are pretty stable at other times.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 PM
altacom
My Feedback: (3)

Sounds like you just pulled too much current for the entire system to handle. This will definately heat up EVERYTHING.

Just overheating them once may not destroy the battery. But I would definately check everything to be sure I didn't exceed the batteries capability. You should never draw more than the battery's rated current for any length of time. They will definately overheat, even 20C Cells will get pretty warm if you push them to the 20C for any length of time.

And I as well just have my packs on a shelf. Do carry them to the field in a fireproof box, in case of getting them banged up in the car. Never had one cause a problem except when I forgot to set the charger correctly, and in a crash.

So now I use an "idiot proof charger" and that part went away. The "Crash" thing - Oh Well!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
iamman711

Altacom,

which idiot proof charger do you use or recommend?

also, my overheating resulted in the propellor/motor spinning erratically and the motor getting really hot. My current configuration was stock brushless, stock 13X6 propellor, stock lipo, speed controller, but the stock reciever replaced with Spektrum AR6200.

With that configuration, where do you think I was drawing too much current? I didn't even have the throttle engaged ?(it was idle). I did happen to change the radio settings (via DX6i programming menu) to US power settings, which I believe is higher than EU settings...

My ESC was Efite 25A maybe its just a cheap unreliable product in general.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 PM
slope-soarer

I don't see storage as a problem, as long as the cells haven't been damaged.

These things are being transported around the world by aeroplanes. I can't see the airlines taking chances or packing them in ammo boxes.

Next time you fly think what may be sharing the flight with you !
Old 02-29-2008, 08:53 AM
flygilmore

Ok, thanks for the help guys. Yes, when charging, I keep a very close eye on the pack. I mainly fly gas and sometimes glow now, and have gotten rid of all my electric stuff but two motors and this one 1320TP pack-as a result, the pack just sits for long periods of time without use. I have been keeping it in a big glass pickle jar with the lid off for now but I may try and find something else though-perhaps the $19 fireproof box/case that I saw at Walmart.

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:08 AM
iamman711

"gotten rid of all my electric stuff but two motors "
i think electric is superior to gas/glow. its quieter, you can fly it in a park and the police don't care (most cities), and doesn't pollute the air. and more.

not posting to instigate a debate, but why do you prefer gas to electric?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Beaufighter

Hi guy's, I know this is going off on a bit of a tangent, but being new to lipo's myself, and having bought a balance charger from ebay with no istructions, what charge rate should I set the charger to? The charger is made by "AirPower", and has 4 settings - 0.5A, 1A, 1.5A and 2A. The Pack is a Kong Power 11.1V 1800mAh 25C. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers Guy's

Beau.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:10 PM
iamman711

for that you charge 1.5A

anything over 2000 mAh you charge at 2A
Old 03-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Beaufighter

That's fantastic, thanks for clearing that up iamman!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: iamman711

"gotten rid of all my electric stuff but two motors "
i think electric is superior to gas/glow. its quieter, you can fly it in a park and the police don't care (most cities), and doesn't pollute the air. and more.

not posting to instigate a debate, but why do you prefer gas to electric?
Or the reverse: Why do I prefer electric to gas (after flying gas/glow for 50 years).

No dead sticks.
No clean up.
No odor on clothes (doesn't bother me but the wife finds unpleasant)
Wider range of model types, multi engine are more doable.
Electrics enable better scale appearance, no cylinder heads or mufflers to hide.
More places to fly them, particularly smaller ones. Even 40 size doesn't seem to upset neighbors.
No oil soaked air frames.
And when you have made 78 orbits around the sun it seems bending down to start engines gets more difficult with each orbit.
More precise power control.
Smaller electrics mean I can store more planes.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Bcolici

I hear that.BTW i keep my lipos in a borrowed corningware deep dish from the wifey
Old 03-20-2008, 08:15 PM
iamman711

Red, 'nuff said. Electric is here to stay. .. unless I want to fly that [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN1100]Hangar 9[/link] Ultimate TOC giant scale. Does anyone know if there is an electric conversion mod available for that giant yet? If so, its gonna be my second, and next plane. [8D]