Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

two motors and one BEC

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:03 PM
shreifali

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two motors and one BEC

Hi everybody.
I have a li-poly battery (11.1v and 1800mah) , a BEC (max 20A) , and two MEGA 300 motors (6V) each one.
I want to know if I ca connect the two motors in series to the BEC and using the 11.1V battery.
will any of the items will be damaged? or everything will be OK.
thax a lot...
Old 02-29-2008, 05:11 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: two motors and one BEC

I think you mean an ESC, not a BEC.

An ESC is used to control electric motor speed. A BEC is a voltage regulator that steps down your batt pack voltage to about 5V to power your receiver and servos.

If this is true (i.e. you mean ESC) what you propose should work fine. You will have to be sure that you use proper props and gearbox ratios (if using gearboxes) so you don't exceed the current limit of your ESC, battery pack, and motors.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 PM
shreifali

Thx for your fast replying.
Yes , I am sorry , I wanted to say an ESC and not BEC.
by the way , I had removed a brushless motor 32KV from a walkera helicopter and used it to power an airplane (Direct Drive) , the result was burning the motor.
does that mean I must have used gearbox ?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:03 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

32kv sounds awfully low, you sure you don't mean 3200kv? The brushless motor I have in my Shogun heli is 3200 or 4200 kv.

Most inrunner brushless motors need a gearbox to spin a decent size prop. Lower kv inrunners are used to direct drive small props on high speed planes, though (like the brushless version of the Stryker). You usually have to go with an outrunner brushless motor to direct drive larger props. In general, high kv means high rpms and low torque, which usually requires a gearbox to spin a prop, and low kv means low rpm and high torque, and direct drive capability. Most outrunners I've seen used to direct drive airplane props have a kv of less that 1000.