Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

cell phone battery for small plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

cell phone battery for small plane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 11:12 AM
gr7hug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cell phone battery for small plane?

I have a Sony t68i cell phone, that has a small lithium polymer battery it uses. The battery weighs 25 grams about, and is in a decent package. It has a voltage rating of 3.6 volts and 700mAh.

My question is would it be possable to use this battery, or 2 of them, to power a small park flyer type aircraft. If possable, what other equipment would you all reccomend? The battery can be seen here: http://www.sonyericsson.com/us/spg.jsp?page=start

thanks for advice
Old 04-23-2003, 01:26 PM
ElectriFan-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cell phone battery for small plane?

It could be. The trick here is knowing what the max current draw the pack can supply without shutting down. Most Lithium Ion cells come with some sort of protection circuit to prevent excessive voltage drop, too much current draw, overcharging, etc. Either of these conditions shuts the battery supply down completely, which means you don't have control over the model any more. To work around this, some people solder 2 connectors - 1 for charging, the other directly to the battery for flying.

Also, you should note that LiIo cells can explode violently when abused. I believe Red talks about it on his site (www.batteryclinic.com).

Don't want to scare you from using it, but you should be aware of the limitations. I personally have 10 packs of LiIo cells that I bought from someone very cheap. I only use them on the appropriate models, and enjoy the long flight times they provide.

Good luck.