Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

power supply question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:46 PM
xsnrg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power supply question

I need a ac/dc power supply to do charging at home.I want to be able to charge the bigger packs.....4s and above.The power supplies ive come across so far only can supply a little over
13vdc.I bought the Hyperion DUO and would like to get a power supply strong enough to use the charger to its max potential.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: power supply question

Chargeing 4s packs will be determined by the charger because even though the output is 16+ volts they will still operate at an input of 11-15 usually.

It looks like it's a max of 360 watts so you would nbeed a 360+ watt ps (400 would be minimum I'd suggest)

Figuring it backwards to get current 360/12 volts = 30 amps.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
xsnrg

So I could use a 12v power supply as long as the amps were enough.....I was thinking that I would need the same or more voltsdc to charge packs abouve 12vdc
Old 04-08-2008, 04:54 PM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: xsnrg

So I could use a 12v power supply as long as the amps were enough.....I was thinking that I would need the same or more voltsdc to charge packs abouve 12vdc
Yes you can use a 12Vdc power supply. Think in terms of total watts. Watts= Volts X Amps If your volts are low your power supply will need to provide more amps to keep the watts constant. Does this make sense?

A good 30A power supply is going to cost you. I just bought a 40A to power 2 Hyperion EOS0610i's and one Hyperion EOS1210i. I went with a [link=http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-4245MV]MFJ 4245[/link] adjustable voltage switching power supply. You can see a pic of my charging setup in my gallery. I have been very happy with this setup. I can easly charge three 6S 2500 lipos without it even breaking a sweat. I got the large 40A version becuase I am thinking of possibly building a T-Rex 600 in the future and would like to be able to charge 3 6s 5000mah packs.

You might also check out the Pyramid line of power supplys. They are more inexpensive than the MFJ I have. They are also a linear power supply and a 30A version is going to weigh in at around 35lbs or so. My 40A switching power supply only weighs 5.5lbs.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
xsnrg

Yes that makes sense to me.I guess my problem was that I thought the volts had to be at or above what the battery was rated at....so,something with 30A and min of 12vdc would do....take a look at these specs and tell me if you think this would be ok for the:

Features:

Perfect for Home, Shop and Hobbyist

Built-in Cooling Fan

Input: 115V AC, 60Hz, 500 Watts

Output: 6~15V DC(Adjustable)

22 AMP Constant/25 AMP Surge

Powers 6~15V DC Devices such as Cellular Phones, CB Radios, Scanners, HAM Radios, Autosound Systems, etc.

Screw Terminal Connectors

Crowbar Over Voltage Protection

Short Circuit & Thermal Protection

Fuse Protected

LED Condition Indicators

3 Prong Grounded AC Plug

Heavy Duty Cabinet & Heatsink with Anti-Skid Rubber Feet

Electronic Overload Protection w/Auto Reset

Dimensions: 11.81''L x 9.05''W x 7.08''H

1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
Old 04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
guver

The chargers with a limit above 8 cells and 3S have circuitry to step up the voltage yet still operate on a standard 12 volts input.

Find out for sure the max power of the charger and if it's 360 watts and you'll max it out then the ps may not quite do the job.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
BoysToys

That looks like the stats for the Pyramid PS26KX. My MFJ replaced a Pyramid PS-21KX that I used for a little over a year. Mine served me well without any problems. I just outgrew it. I still have it in a box incase I ever have a need for it again.

That Pyramid will work but it will not be able to push your charger to its full potential. The stated 500W output is a little decieving. That ps is rated at 22A constant at 13.8V for a total watt output of 303 watts. This would be a "perfect world" output without accounting for any loss in the process. If you want to be able to push your charger at 360 total watts I would look at something about to push at least 30A constant. If you want a Pyramid I would look at someting like the [link=http://www.etronics.com/p-23886-pyramid-ps-36kx-regulated-adjustable-voltage-35amp-power-supply.aspx]PS-36KX[/link]. This unit will easily supply your charger will all the DC it might need. The Pyramid line jumps from the 26KX to the 36KX. The 26 will be a little underpowered and the 36 will be a little overpowered.

I hope this helps
Old 04-08-2008, 07:38 PM
xsnrg

Yes it is the Pyramid PS26KX...seen it on ebay for $70.Thanks guys for all your help.
will take your advice BT and look for something at the 30A constant.One thing I noticed is that most of these PS's are used in the Ham radio field.....I have some friends into that so maybe ill see if they can help before i get the PS-36KX.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
cloud-9

A good 30A power supply is going to cost you. I just bought a 40A to power 2 Hyperion EOS0610i's and one Hyperion EOS1210i. I went with a [link=http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-4245MV]MFJ 4245[/link] adjustable voltage switching power supply. You can see a pic of my charging setup in my gallery. I have been very happy with this setup. I can easly charge three 6S 2500 lipos without it even breaking a sweat. I got the large 40A version becuase I am thinking of possibly building a T-Rex 600 in the future and would like to be able to charge 3 6s 5000mah packs.

Good luck!

How can you charge 3 lipos at once on the DUO? Though it only charges 2 batteries at a time?

Jim

Old 04-10-2008, 10:50 AM
cloud-9

ORIGINAL: xsnrg

Yes that makes sense to me.I guess my problem was that I thought the volts had to be at or above what the battery was rated at....so,something with 30A and min of 12vdc would do....take a look at these specs and tell me if you think this would be ok for the:

Features:

Perfect for Home, Shop and Hobbyist

Built-in Cooling Fan

Input: 115V AC, 60Hz, 500 Watts

Output: 6~15V DC(Adjustable)

22 AMP Constant/25 AMP Surge

Powers 6~15V DC Devices such as Cellular Phones, CB Radios, Scanners, HAM Radios, Autosound Systems, etc.

Screw Terminal Connectors

Crowbar Over Voltage Protection

Short Circuit & Thermal Protection

Fuse Protected

LED Condition Indicators

3 Prong Grounded AC Plug

Heavy Duty Cabinet & Heatsink with Anti-Skid Rubber Feet

Electronic Overload Protection w/Auto Reset

Dimensions: 11.81''L x 9.05''W x 7.08''H

1 Year Manufacturer Warranty

No, that only does 330 watts. You need 360, plus you should calculate at 80 of rated requirement. So I would make sure amps X volts = 400 or more. Check out Mastech and Tekpower at radios4you.com.

Also, if you download the manual and read it you'll see the DUO needs 15v do work to its max.

Jim

Old 04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
xsnrg

cloud-9,so you think I will need the 15v....would't a 12v with the Amps to make up the watts the same as 15v with a little less Amps?12v x 33A=396 or 15v x 26.6A=399Watts

Im not really clear on how or what effect the Volts has on charging a pack when they get their total Watts supplied.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:04 PM
guver

That's a plus, use a higher voltage if possible. There are some 16-24 volt ps on e-bay that are big and heavy, but real cheap. I have a real nice 16.6 volt x 500 watt and a 15 volot 350 watt ps rthat would work great. Maybe I should look into this charger myself .
Old 04-10-2008, 02:23 PM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: cloud-9

How can you charge 3 lipos at once on the DUO? Though it only charges 2 batteries at a time?

Jim

I am not sure what you are asking. I don't own a DUO. I own 2 EOS0610i chargers and one EOS1210i. You can see a pic of my setup in my gallery. I can charge one pack at a time on my 0610 and 2 at a time on the 1210 using 2 lba 10 balancers. The largest load I put on my ps is when I charge a 6s 2500 on each of my 0610s and 2 3s packs on my 1210i. This means that I am charging 3 seperate packs will a total cell count of 18S or 33.3V.

If you get the right connectors you can charge up to 4 3s packs on the DUO. You will need to wire them with a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNKY9&P=ML]series adapter[/link]so you have two sets of two. You will then need to link up the balance plugs using an adapter like [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6544]This dual 3s to 6s[/link]. If you do everything right you will have 4 3s packs hooked up but the charger will only "see" two 6s packs. Does this make sense?

xsnrg- I am not sure why some chargers require 15V to make peak power but they do. My MFJ ps is adjustable up to 15V but will only supply about 36A. The 40A continous rating is at 13.8V for approx 550W. I am not an electrical engineer or an expert on electronics, batteries, and chargers. I am just attempting to relay the things I have learned over the last couple of years. I know that I wasted alot of money on inadequate products.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:34 PM
xsnrg

BT,Sometimes it feels like we need to be electrical eng's.....Your experance is very apperciated and has helped me a great deal with the charging issue.Ideally a high voltage high amp ps would be great but money is also a limiting factor.