Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Charger Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger Help

Hello,
I just upgraded to 2000mah nimh batteries (Tx and Rx) and now need to get a charger. I have already gone over budget, so I am trying to find a charger that will be good for my batteries, but don't need any 'extra' bells and whistles. From what I gather I (need?) a peak charger that can charge at '1C' (2amps?) and trickle at '.05C' (100ma?). I was looking at a Hobbico charger that is not a peak charger, but I now think that if the condition of my battery is unknown before charging, it may be too easy to overcharge. Oh, I don't yet have a 12v for the field.I was thinking probably AC/DC, or just AC, but then saw maybe I could get a $30 DC peak charger and a 12V battery? I'm so confused - a $30 peak DC charger (Great Planes Electrifly Peak400) vs $130 Triton? Do I need the discharge function? I guess I'm trying to spend under $80, and if I should get a charger and a 12v field battery or a more expensive AC or AC/DC charger. I'm obviously confused.

Any advice or recommendations is really appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:34 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Charger Help

How about a peak charger from MRC , the 820?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: guver

How about a peak charger from MRC , the 820?
Features:

* For 6-7 cell sub-C or larger, NiCd and NiMH packs, 1,500 mAH and higher

Unfortunately I've got 4 cell and 8 cell AA. Thanks though, good thought.

Edit: You planted a seed! Got it! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXLCJ6&P=K

(thanks to a nice surprise from our (fill in the blank) president in my bank account!)
Old 05-10-2008, 06:24 AM
xsnrg

ORIGINAL: FatOrangeKat
From what I gather I (need?) a peak charger that can charge at '1C' (2amps?) and trickle at '.05C' (100ma?).
Lipo's are not trickled.