Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

How to "glue" the velcro.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:23 PM
sylvesp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to "glue" the velcro.

Sounds like not a very advanced question. Isn't it? But as I haven't done it before I decided that is better to ask.

What is a good way to "stick" the battery holding the velcro on the fuselage resp on the battery pack?

I have an Electric Shock from PA. The manual says to use double sided wide sticky tape?
Is that good enough? will it hold? Or can I just use CA to glue the velcro to the fuselage?

Thanks for your help.
Peter
Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Arkitexas

Default RE: How to "glue" the velcro.

sylvesp:

That, in fact, is a very good question! I had first tried hot melt glue, CA, and epoxy. None worked well since they didn't stick to the slick plastic back of the Velcro. Then I discovered sticky backed Velcro. But beware! Velcro makes about four or five different versions. You want the "Industrial" grade. Here are some useful tips:

1) Read the instructions (something I often do AFTER the fact)
2) Be careful to clean the bonding surface
3) Don't use too much Velcro - It can take a lot of force to open a velcro connection, and model planes are fragile. Sometimes I use several smaller strips rather than one large piece.
4) Allow the Velcro adhesive to set up over night. The adhesive requires 24 hours to attain full strength.

Servo tape also is a good solution for surfaces that are uneven or have a course texture. The Velcro backing is somewhat stiff and tends to straighten out, spanning over small low areas. Servo tape and other similar "double stick foam tapes" have a spongy center that is elastic enough to dip into low spots and adhere. If you elect to use the foam tape, make it the same size as the Velcro backing to get the greatest amount of bond. You can use the double stick tape with adhesive-backed or non-adhesive Velcro. Caution: some double stick tapes use better adhesives than others.

For batteries, I use a large "hook" piece (thats the hard plastic half of the Velcro) on the plane and two relatively narrow strips of the soft "loop" half on the battery. That reduces the amount of bonded area so it can easily be removed and allows for some adjustment in the battery placement for CG purposes.

Rick
Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: sylvesp

Sounds like not a very advanced question. Isn't it? But as I haven't done it before I decided that is better to ask.

What is a good way to "stick" the battery holding the velcro on the fuselage resp on the battery pack?

I have an Electric Shock from PA. The manual says to use double sided wide sticky tape?
Is that good enough? will it hold? Or can I just use CA to glue the velcro to the fuselage?

Thanks for your help.
Peter
I use industrial type velcro that I buy at Lowe's. It's the stick-on type. However, I use thin CA glue on the spot where I'm going to stick the piece of velcro and wait a few minutes for it to dry. It creates a good bonding surface. I never have problems with the velcro coming off.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Dsegal

First, seal the wood surface with one or two coats of Ambroid cement spread where the Velcro will go. Press the Velcro on when the cement is dry. If you have any problem later with the Velcro starting to lift off just dribble some thin CyA around the edges- it won't come off.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:36 AM
TheTruckingGuru

I just use the velcro with the sticky back and nothing else. Works great. And this is with my gas powered and electric powered RC trucks and buggys. It sticks and holds well.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use thick CA under the side that is on wood and goop on the battery side unless I am making a loop.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:05 PM
aa2dd

Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 PM
aa2dd

let me try again!!! Goop will do the job for you.

Bruce
Old 06-24-2008, 03:06 AM
hellblastervolly

I use any velcro to hold the battery from sliding and then I use velcro straps to hold it in place. I stick the velcro right on the balsa or ply ( no CA or other treatment ) and it stay strong.

Peter if you have non sticky velcro just add in the back some doble side hevy duty mounting tape from 3M. This one is not the foam type it is more like a clear thick gummy kind of tape the protective cover is red and come in a roll like the foam kind.

Fernando
Old 06-24-2008, 12:31 PM
sylvesp

Thanks everybody for the help!