Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Standard Servo Electric Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Standard Servo Electric Planes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 04:19 PM
lilopaty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard Servo Electric Planes

HI ALL,

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW OF ELECTRIC PLANES THAT USE STANDARD SERVOS AND RECEIVERS SUCH AS THE SUPERSTAR EP, SLOW STICK, ETC ..

THANKS SO MUCH
Old 05-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

If you're talking about park fliers, there aren't too many. Weight is absolutely critical on most smaller electric planes, and when two standard servos and a standard receiver account for over half the plane's weight, you need to use smaller equipment.

The planes that can use standard gear are generally conversions of glow-powered aircraft, though there are some larger models available. Check out http://www.espritmodel.com or http://www.nesail.com
Old 05-14-2003, 05:17 AM
a088008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are asking because you noticed that there are not many e-planes out there for standard servos (and most gas fliers have a few standard servos lying around). I asked the same question, but did not find many planes out there. So, I designed a sport plane about 1 year ago that took 4 standard servos. 1 for rudder, 1 for elevator and 1 for each aileron. It has a canned 480 motor with a 3:1 gearbox spinning a 10x5 APC e-prop or 2:1 spinning a 9x6 APC e-prop. I use a 10 cell 1100 mah NiMH battery.

The battery gives me about 5 min flying time at mostly full throttle. It propbably needs a 550 motor and a 1800 mah battery to get better flight times and to improve aerobatics. Right now, 3 consecutive loops are not a problem and 15-25 mph wind is a pleasure to fly in.

It has a 60" wingspan and was really easy to build. The wings came out nice and strong and are detachable for transportation. Overall the plane came out quite light, although you can feel the weight of the servos. Honestly, the battery weighed half the weight of the plane, so using standard servos was not the main weight issue.

Here is a picture of it.

-Q.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	78438_10389.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	46443  
Old 05-14-2003, 11:38 AM
gwright

as others have posted, weight is the enemy with electric powered flight, hence the widespread use of "mini" servos. For an example,..use a 10-cell sport plane like my E3D. the plane, built and covered ends up in the 16 to 18 ounce range depending on the wood that ended up in that particular kit and what types and quantity of glue that are used. That's a 600 sq inch, 48 inch span, 52 inch long plane, about the size of a "normal 40 size" glow plane. 4 standard servos would be 8 ounces (2oz. ea) and a standard reciever another 2 ounces, to 10 ounces total. Radio equipment would be 5/8 the weight of the built/covered plane. With HS81's, and a small (555/superslim) reciever, you end up with 2.5 ounces of servos and 1/2 ounce of reciever, so 3 ounces total,..thereby eliminating 70% of the equipment weight. So, from 26 ounces down to 19 ounces,.. or about a 25%~30% weight reduction. i know 7 ounces doesn't sound like a lot, but you can see from the percentage difference, it really is a lot.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:05 PM
sierra gold

While I don't disagree with the previous postings... with electric, weight is the enemy.

However, the Slow Stick will handle the additional weight and still be a good flyer. Many people use this plane for photography and load it down with camera gear and an extra servo. It still flies fine.

Standard gear should be no problem.

Sierra Gold