Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Newbie ESC question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:03 PM
phoenix426

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie ESC question...

I'm thinking of switching to a brushless motor and ESC on my Super Sportster EP.
Some of the ESC's don't have an on/off switch. They say they have a BEC - (battery eliminator circut).
Does the BEC also eliminate the need for an on/off switch?
Will I need to install an on/off switch or will it just power up OK after the battery is plugged in and I move the throttle back and forth to activate the motor?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Dsegal

Default RE: Newbie ESC question...

The BEC function has nothing to do with any switches. It is a power supply for the receiver and a voltage cutoff for when the pack runs down. Some ESCs do come with a small switch and some do not. You will not add any switches to an ESC on your own. Once the pack is plugged in your power system is "live" and opening the throttle will then start the motor.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:17 AM
dignlivn

FWIW

I use a "Arming Plug" on my E powered
aircraft.

Bob
Old 07-03-2008, 08:17 AM
whitecrest

My brushless ESC didn't have a switch, so I installed one in the power leads for just a little extra control. It's easier if I'm flying multiple flights on one battery, cuts the battery drain while I'm waiting to fly, and provides a bit more arming protection. It's also probably a cleaner, more jitter-free power-on for the ESC.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Sir Raleigh

Will adding an on/off switch between the ESC and receiver on the red wire remove all drain from the battery?

This sounds like a good idea when using the same battery for multiple flights to save the battery while the plane is on the ground and not have to pull the Deans plug all the time.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:35 AM
whitecrest

ORIGINAL: Sir Raleigh

Will adding an on/off switch between the ESC and receiver on the red wire remove all drain from the battery?

This sounds like a good idea when using the same battery for multiple flights to save the battery while the plane is on the ground and not have to pull the Deans plug all the time.
Interesting... I would guess that you might still see a little drain from the electronics in the ESC which would still be powered in this case. It would probably be very small. I put my switch in the power leads to the ESC which results in a complete disconnect. With the switch on, I measured 20 ma at zero throttle with no servo activity. It drew about 100 ma while exercising one micro servo at zero throttle.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Sir Raleigh

Even 20 ma isn't all that much.

I'll put the switch I have in line between the ESC and receiver and then check the current at the Deans plug.

At least with a switch there it will disable the receiver and not allow the plane to zoom off into the wild blue yonder if someone else is on the same channel I am...
Old 07-03-2008, 04:42 PM
whitecrest

ORIGINAL: Sir Raleigh

Even 20 ma isn't all that much.

I'll put the switch I have in line between the ESC and receiver and then check the current at the Deans plug.

At least with a switch there it will disable the receiver and not allow the plane to zoom off into the wild blue yonder if someone else is on the same channel I am...
I would be interested to see what your results are with the receiver switched out. I agree, 20 ma is not very much dissipation while in standby and hardly worth worrying about considering the amount of current used for routine flying.