Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help getting started with a 4 channel transmitter?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Help getting started with a 4 channel transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Red Hot Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help getting started with a 4 channel transmitter?

I've never used a 4 channel transmitter before only 3 channel so it's a bit daunting. As is, my Pitts bipe came like this: Throtte and rudder on the left stick, channels 2 and 4 respectively. The right stick is set up elevator and aileron, channels 3 and 1 respectively. I'm trying to switch the ailerons and rudders channels so both up and down and left and right movements are on the right stick. The manual, what I can understand says this can be done but when I switch the two things start going haywire. My question is how does everyone fly? Do you guys have the ailerons and throttle on the same stick? I would think this is harder to fly. It's going to have to take some getting used to I think on my part if that's the way it is. Also on my transmitter, there are 4 switches for the channels all saying up for reverse and down for normal. What do these do? My manual is mostly in chinese and it doesn't cover these switches.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Help getting started with a 4 channel transmitter?

this should help

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-...ter-modes.html

most in the USA use mode 2 (with lots of exceptions)
lots in Europe (again with many exceptions) use Mode 1
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Red Hot Pearl

Thanks that's kind of what I was looking for.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Sir Raleigh

Generally speaking, in the US, most 4 channel radios are set up with the primary turning control on the right stick.

So, if you're flying a 3 channel plane, your elevator and rudder are on the right stick and throttle is on the left stick. Left stick left/right does nothing.
On a 4 channel plane, your elevator and aileron are on the right stick and throttle and rudder are on the left stick.
Usually, while flying, you will only use the ailerons for turning unless you're doing some fancy stunts like flying 3D. The rudder is used primarily for taxing (especially with a steerable nose or tail wheel) and last second corrections while landing. (Actually I even use my ailerons during landing.)
If you look at a lot of the warbirds you'll see they don't even have a movable rudder, only ailerons for flying.