Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Battery Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:07 AM
kusok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Connectors

Hello,

I am new to this and would like to inquire what type of connectors do you use to quickly connect the battery to the heli itself? I have been trying to find something light yet powerful for some time, but I just can't seem to find the right connectors.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:36 PM
punkindrublik

Default RE: Battery Connectors

Can't go wrong with Deans connectors. Mini Deans if you are staying under 15 amps or so.

There's a lot of Deans knockoffs out there that work well, but none of them are quite as easy to use as the originals.

Original -
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKX39&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDKA2&P=7

Knock offs -
http://www.ritehobby.com/Gold-plated...Battery-side-2
http://www.ritehobby.com/Gold-Plated...-Male-ESC-side
http://www.ritehobby.com/Micro-T-Plug-Pair

Hope that was helpful...

Brian
Old 08-02-2008, 07:08 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Id also recommend the Deans for a helicopter

You need something with a positive secure connection, and the deans are good for this.

I saw a really nice expensive Trex600 go in from 300ft because the pilot used a JST connector on the rx battery. Use good connectors.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:47 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I'm partial to Sermos or Anderson Powerpole connectors. I'm terrible at soldering, especially with the Deans plugs. They usually end up out of line. I have the crimper for the Powerpoles and there's nothing like sitting down with 10 connectors to put on and being done in less than half an hour. I get my supplies including the crimper at West Mountain Radio. There are good people there.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:04 PM
AWG

I have to say that Anderson power pole are the best this is the only connector I use, you have some thing to hold on when you plug them to getter! also the crimping is NASSA approved. the plastic housing can be cut to make it half the size,it is a zero loss connector. ? almost!! closer then most??
Old 08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
TallDoode

I use only Dean's but as a Ham Radio operator soldering is not a problem for me. I actually enjoy it.

That being said, I made the mistake of buying some bulk Dean's from the Internet and they are nylon and not PVC so they melt when you solder them. Guess you get what you pay for. My point is that if you decide on Dean's, buying from LHS may be a better idea than trying to get a deal on eBay.

Have fun,

dave
Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 PM
pilotpete2

I'll make the third vote for Power Poles.
Their ability to be "ganged" in different patterns for polarity reasons, plus their genderless nature, hmm, lets see, you have to have a female Deans on your batts, but that leaves a male Deans on the charger output, more than one charger got smoked due to a shorted output, but not with APPs
Pete
Old 08-16-2008, 11:50 PM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

OK, I'm forth in line for Power Poles. My son introduced these to me after I shorted a 2100 pk using deans. My Fault, My Bad.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:44 PM
twmoody

I too use only Power Poles. As a retired Electrical Engineer I consider them one of the best connectors and would put Deans near the bottom of the list.

Tom Moody
Old 08-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Dr Kiwi

I guess I'm an odd-ball - Deans are big and bulky and hard to disconnect in tight places. I use the same MP Jet Gold Connectors I use on ESC's and motors(for battery : male on +, female on -) . When the pack is not in use, a plastic thread protector slipped over the exposed male comnnector removes any chance of shorting.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:03 AM
kusok

Thanks everyone. I have looked at all those options and decided to go with mini deans connectors.