Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to Electric Flight and Li-Po's

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

New to Electric Flight and Li-Po's

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:35 AM
steelcityuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Electric Flight and Li-Po's

Hi,

As the subject suggests I'm new to this and I have a few questions that I haven't found the answers to so if members could give some answers I'd be grateful.

1) It seems that ESCs are programable. Do members bother adjusting what they can or just use them as is? Are any of the options worth setting?

2) I'm building a Radical Quick Wing, are breaking props on landing a problem on these kind of models? If so is there any way to stop it without using a folding prop?

3) I have an Duratrax Intellipeak ICE charger, will this be OK for charging Li-Po's? Should I buy a balancer to connect between the ICE and the Li-Po's?

Thanks.

Steve.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:01 PM
ditchdigger01

Default RE: New to Electric Flight and Li-Po's

hey Steve,
1. I've never bothered to program my esc's although that being said, the brake function is useful for aircraft that will belly land, ie if the prop can turn it might not break
2.I don't know that aircraft but you can always fly cheap props and just replace them. I always like to have a weak link thats easy and cheap to replace
3.blancers are great, lipos are not cheap, if you can make them last longer, do it. just try to stick to one brand of battery so you don't end up w/ a pile of balance connectors
Old 08-31-2008, 12:05 PM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: steelcityuk

Hi,

As the subject suggests I'm new to this ...
Can't help you with your specific questions but since your new to e-flight, I suggest you get some experienced help (club) to learn to fly, it's not easy on your own: frustrating, expensive.
And I suggest you also do a bit of browsing in these very useful FAQs:
www.ezonemag.com
-> FAQ

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3
-> ¨Everything You Wanted To Know About Electric Powered Flight¨

Selecting power system, several links:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18521
Old 08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
ron_van_sommeren

If you want to meet the natives Steve, three fora in the UK:
www.rcmf.co.uk
www.rctalk.co.uk
www.modelflying.co.uk

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old 08-31-2008, 12:18 PM
ron_van_sommeren

Clubs in the UK:
http://www.bmfa.org/
-> clubs
-> view clubs list

Britisch electric flyers association:
http://www.befa.ef-uk.net/

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old 08-31-2008, 01:46 PM
ron_van_sommeren

Keep an eye on this timing and poles thead:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915702
Old 09-01-2008, 03:16 AM
steelcityuk

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I'll check through the various links. Although I'm new to electric I've flown IC in the past and have been practicing with a Hobbyzone Super Cub.

The last link to motor timing attracted my interest because after assembling the Quick Wing and installing the motor and speed controller I powered it up 'on the bench' to check all was working OK. However it isn't, the motor seems gutless and has a peculiar random knocking noise then after about 10 to 20 seconds the motor stops. If the throttle is closed and reopened the motor starts again for another short burst. The ESC seems to be getting very hot but I don't have any reference as to what is hot and what isn't. Occasionally the motor will run in a very jerky way. So is this a sign of a timing problem? I've setup the throttle end points as advised in the ESC instructions.

The ESC is a Turnigy Basic 18 AMP, would I be better off buying a programming card rather than trying to using the transmitter? If so which cards can be used, I would buy a Turnigy but they seem in short supply in the UK.

Thanks.

Steve.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:45 PM
haasjj

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I'll check through the various links. Although I'm new to electric I've flown IC in the past and have been practicing with a Hobbyzone Super Cub.

The last link to motor timing attracted my interest because after assembling the Quick Wing and installing the motor and speed controller I powered it up 'on the bench' to check all was working OK. However it isn't, the motor seems gutless and has a peculiar random knocking noise then after about 10 to 20 seconds the motor stops. If the throttle is closed and reopened the motor starts again for another short burst. The ESC seems to be getting very hot but I don't have any reference as to what is hot and what isn't. Occasionally the motor will run in a very jerky way. So is this a sign of a timing problem? I've setup the throttle end points as advised in the ESC instructions.

The ESC is a Turnigy Basic 18 AMP, would I be better off buying a programming card rather than trying to using the transmitter? If so which cards can be used, I would buy a Turnigy but they seem in short supply in the UK.

Thanks.

Steve.
I think but am not 100% sure that you have to use the programmer or in this case program card that is made for the ESC other ones might work but the only way to make sure would be to contact the manufactures.

For your ? 3 above According to Tower Hobbies web site yes you can charge Lipo batteries with that charger, and no you don't need a balancer but I highly recommend one.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

With any plane that's belly landed, you have to make sure to stop the motor and glide it in for a landing. It helps if you program moderate to heavy braking in on your ESC, so the prop will stop fairly soon after you kill the throttle. With nitro planes you can time the prop so that it won't stop in a vertical position, with electrics you can't. However, my experience has been this: as long as the prop is stopped and you flare on your landing for a gentle touch down, the prop will usually just bump itself out of the way without breaking, even if it is vertical. If you land hard, it can dig in and break, and possibly bend your motor or gearbox shaft.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:47 AM
whitecrest

...However it isn't, the motor seems gutless and has a peculiar random knocking noise then after about 10 to 20 seconds the motor stops. If the throttle is closed and reopened the motor starts again for another short burst. The ESC seems to be getting very hot but I don't have any reference as to what is hot and what isn't. Occasionally the motor will run in a very jerky way. So is this a sign of a timing problem?...
Make sure your motor is turning freely by hand with no grating sounds or binding. You will probably notice some cogging (a soft bump-bump-bump) as you turn it, but this is normal and varies from motor to motor. Excessive heat anywhere is generally a warning that something is being overloaded, and erratic or jerky operation is abnormal. It is not likely a timing issue. When you operate the throttle, it should speed up very smoothly and will definitely not be gutless once it is sorted out. A prop saver might be worth looking at. If you were to land a little heavily, it would not dig in and simply fold over. As mentioned above, there are many excellent sources of information that should help a lot.