Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Misc RC flight questions !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:31 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misc RC flight questions !!

HI

1) Should I always turn ON things in this order : Transmitter , Receiver, Connect my A123 5S pack to the ESC - ?
2) What would happen if I connect the ESC first and then connect the Tx/Rx ?
3) When I was flying today a strange thing happened :
My throttle kicks in on the 6th click (with trim at zero). So I flew the plane and while landing approach even after I brought the throttle down to zero(lower than 1st click), the motor was running a bit. I couldnt land easily ..after 2 attempts I forced it down with a lot of down elevator.
Has this happened to anyone? Is something wrong with ESC ? Or as the power in the a123 reduced does the throttle level get changed? What could've happened?

Pls advice !!!
(This is my setup: Sig rascal 40 EP conversion having a 5sa123 pack, NO BEC, 70 A esc , Brushless Outrunner OK-C4250 (3520) KV 600, 4 servos ,Futaba 6exa radio system, nicd 4.8v 1000mah battery for its Receiver. )

Thx! 747
Old 09-21-2008, 01:09 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Misc RC flight questions !!

747 -

1) That's correct.
2) If you connect the battery without the TX/RX turned on, it is possible (though still unlikely) that the motor could start. As a matter of basic safety, you should always assume that the motor can start any time the battery is connected.
3) I have no idea.

- Jeff
Old 09-21-2008, 12:21 PM

For issue #3: I am sure I connected the ESC first without turning ON the tx/rx...could that be the reason for #3?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Could be. Most ESCs sense the throttle endpoints from the transmitter & receiver. If your RX was off, then it may have saturated at something like a -120% endpoint with no RX signal output, while your TX was probably set for a -100% endpoint. Some ESCs will let you turn the autosensing off, and it will fix the throttle endpoints.

I would ALWAYS use the power-up sequence you spelled out: 1)TX on, 2) RX on, 3) ESC on (connect main power pack to ESC power connector). That's the safest sequence for any type of radio system, and it should eliminate the ESC sensing false throttle endpoints.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Are you positive that the motor was still running? If you disabled the brake, the prop will freewheel, which looks like the motor is still running, and feels like it too. The freewheeling prop doesn't provide any braking effect, so the plane will come in fast.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:32 PM

Matt, I flew again and noticed at touch down the prop stops so you are right ! It is a UH 70a esc ..cheap one which I couldnt program ..so i guess brake is off. Which is fine ...

Do you still agree with t he first question ie :
1) Turn ON things in this order : Transmitter , Receiver, Connect my A123 5S pack to the ESC - ?

Also how can I find what the default LVC is - pgmmed by default in my "chinese" ESC?!
Thx