Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

ratched throttle

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:52 PM
rcpilot36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ratched throttle

i have airplane radio / does it help to remove ratch action to control pitch ?
futaba 9c
Old 10-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ratched throttle

If it's pitch on a heli, it does help a lot to have the smooth control. Usually the spot you need to hover is right between notches according to murphys law.
By the way, welcome to the club and sorry for the wait.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:49 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Most plank pilots that fly one of my planes on my heli radio ask me about converting their radio, especially the 3d pilots.

Its easy, remove the battery, module, and back cover.
Remove the single phillips screw holding it and flip over the spring clip and reinstall the screw.
Put the transmitter back together.

If you dont like it, change it back.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:14 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, a smooth throttle stick is nice on planes, and pretty much a necessity on a heli. I flew a Blade CP with the stock, ratcheted radio, and couldn't stand it, had to open it up and convert it to a smooth stick. As Andy said, you can just flip the spring clip over, or you can slip some fuel tubing over it to smooth it out. Some radios smooth out fine just flipping the clip, some still feel a little notchy, so putting some rubber fuel tubing over the spring clip really smooths it out, and lets you increase the tension a little if you want. I've done both on different radios. If I have a choice, I just buy the heli version of the radio. An interesting side note: Spektrum's new DX6i radio only comes in one version, and it has a smooth throttle stick.