Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scale planes w/retracts 25 size or smaller?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Scale planes w/retracts 25 size or smaller?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:10 PM
jimbo3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale planes w/retracts 25 size or smaller?

I'm just getting started in the hobby and one direction I'd like to head in is scale planes (warbird or civilian) no larger than 25 size (maybe up to 40, depending on specific model). Most of the full-size actual planes have retracts, but I haven't found but a couple of models with retracts. Would very much prefer electric ARFs and open to converting from gas to electric. Could anyone give me some direction?

Thanks!
-Jim
Old 10-24-2008, 07:56 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Scale planes w/retracts 25 size or smaller?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL4500

I've had my eye on this AT-6 Texan for a little while. Has the option of going with or with our retracts. I have lots of success with E-flight 25 size products..
Old 10-25-2008, 03:40 PM
jimbo3

Thanks, Mark. The E-Flite Texan was one of the planes I had my eye on, along with the Horizon 40-size Mentor. I purchased the Parkzone 450 size Hawker Sea Hawk foamy to try retracts, but it's not really all that substantial of a plane. Hoping that there is something more out there.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:04 PM
RickAvery

Hyperion make a couple of war birds in 25e size that have retracts. Mustang & Spitfire and I think one more, slips my memory. Here's my Mustang ' Suzy' A solid flyer! Good luck.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12671.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1060016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61478.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1060017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23134.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	1060018  
Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Who is the distributor for Hyperion?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:59 PM
RickAvery

You can get Hyperion stuff at , Bishop power Products & at Quiet RC Flying. Both of these stores are very knowladgeable, friendly and willing to help out.
Rick
Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 AM
jimbo3

Thanks, Rick. I went to <Allerc.com> (the company is "All e RC") and found the Hyperion line. Not much information and the pictures aren't very good, and there isn't much on the reviews here at RCU, although I'm interested. Are these a fiberglass fuse and covered wings? Is the retract gear durable enough for grass taxiing and landing? How do you like the quality of the product? I've been impressed with E-flite products and would like that kind of quality. Could I trouble you for some close-up higher rez pictures? If so, pls email to jag70c AT hotmail.com.

Regards
-Jim
Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM
RickAvery

Jim,
Yes, Allerc is also a fine company to deal with. The Fuse is fiberglass with built up wings and tail feathers. I've had no problems with the retracts on hard dirt or paved runways. As is the case with most gear, if you pancake it in hard, you'll damage something. The most I've done is to bend a leg slightly on a rough landing or two. I think folks have a bit of a problem with them on grass though mostly due to the small, (more to scale), diameter of the wheels and the tendency to want to nose over. I put spacers under the back sides of the retract mechanisms to kick the legs out forward a bit. Have nary had a nose over since. I've been very happy with the quality of the plane, although I must add that I DID NOT build it from the kit. I purchased it from and RCGer who built 95% of it and did not feel confident enough to fly her. There are several threads over at RCG which have much info. I'll try to get up some more pics this eve. Good luck.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96737.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1060621  
Old 11-03-2008, 07:18 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the new P47 (by Alpha) at Hobby-Lobby. Its not 25 size (probably 15 size) but it is loaded .... (has retracts and flaps !). Jim, I also noticed you mentioned you were just getting started in the hobby ..... so this should probably not be your first plane ... but keep it in mind for your second or third.
Also, keep in mind that retractable gear is generally not as durable as fixed gear. If you are just getting started you may want to get a trainer with a fixed gear as your first plane. Bob