Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Parkzone Warbird Brushless upgrade?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Parkzone Warbird Brushless upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:13 AM
drypipe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone Warbird Brushless upgrade?

Has anyone tried to upgrade any of Parkzone's warbirds such as the p-51 Mustang, FW-190 or Spitfire? If so, what did you use for a brushless motor and what were the flight results?

Plane Nuts.
Drypipe.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 AM
602sqdn

Default RE: Parkzone Warbird Brushless upgrade?

my buddy and I experimented with various powerplants on spits, he opted for a size 25 outrunner. Result: very fast and quiet with an impressive vertical climb rate up to about 150 feet before running out of puff. I went for an eflm 2006 brushless inrunner, with some careful but very minor mods I hooked it up via the standard PZ gearbox. Result: bit noisier but just as fast, but what really stands out is that it will climb vertically out of the atmosphere if you keep it pointed that direction.
Both mods need uprated props, the standard prop reaches terminal velocity at about 1/4 throttle and obviously the wings need some pretty extensive but again very easy reinforcement (I used carbon graphite strips cut to length and buried in the wings, then back filled with epoxy. I'm still on the same wing after 50+ flights. I run a Kokam 2400 11.1v li poly through a 35amp esc which all sounds like a pain to set up, but believe me its been worth it, I can do 200 foot loops with ease ( and higher but the plane tends to get pretty small up there) and oddly enough havent had any knocks or dents since doing the mods. More power = more ability to get out of trouble!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:13 PM
jmdairplane

i just purchased a parkzone spitfire i had to buy it in patrs i already have my radio 7c futaba 2.4ghz i did not need the plane with radio it in now using an e-flite 480 1020kv a 30 amp brushless speed e-flite also found a motor mount on e-bay just go on e-bay put parkzone motor mount and search found a guy in renton washington made motor mounts they are a real nice piece of amchinery are t-6 aluminum also im using hitec 65 karbonite servos for the alirerons battery 1700 thunder power 3 cell lipo hope to fly it soon.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:41 AM
drypipe

Thanks. I also have seen those machined motor mounts. Yes, all aircraft grade and much better than the stock easy break plastic. Keep me informed on your results and please post some pictures when you are finished with your mods.

DryPipe.