Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

new to leckys

Old 11-07-2008, 09:52 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new to leckys

I have 2 arfs that came with lipo's and their own individual chargers that are pretty much junk...have since gotten a few lipo packs and am in need of a good not too expensive charger/balancer found a nice "looking " one with all the bells and whistles for $40 at hobbykingdotcom turnigy I think it is, never done business with them...I find at Tower you are often paying for a name, more than the product is worth....any info is appreciated, links, are good too...plan on having 2 or 3 parkflyers and 3-D ers ,,Headsuprc has some really nice stuff/prices and a friend got a nice charger from him , but now they dont sell it anymore,,and I dont want to take a chance on the HongKong stuff on the bay although I have heard good things...Oh I fly mainly 1/2a (.049-.15) glow planes..so I only use the wall warts for most of my stuff.........thanks,,Rog
Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: new to leckys

Rog,
I dont' have a balancer yet but I use a Hobbico MKII for 95% of my charging. It does NiCad, NiMh, and 3S Lipos. I've been using it for around 4 years now and really like it.
I saw a little balancer that you plug into the balance lead for like $20 a few weeks ago at the LHS. It was pretty sexy how it worked. Plug and play, no math or drinking games involved.
If I decide I need a balancer thats the one I'll get.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:06 AM
flyinrog

Ok, thanks mon, have added it to the list...Rog
Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 PM
digital_trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a Cellpro 4S charger I really like. I've not used anything else since I'm new to these things too, but it sure does work well and has many good reviews too.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:38 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Hobbycity has a $6 turnigy charger that will charge 2 and 3 cell packs, charges each cell individually and has LED indicators that let u know when each cell is done. Charge rate is slow (800mh I think) but for $6 how can u beat it? I have ordered 2 for myself, I'll post my experience when I get them in. Has anyone else tried this charger?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:42 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rog,
The MKII will work great with that 12v power supply I gave you a few years ago.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:43 PM
flyinrog

cool Vic, I have it on my wish list at tower,,still use the converter, plus I dont use my car battery anyway, I bought a jumper battery that I use to field charge, but thats pretty rare , we dont stay out very long when we go flying, Raindave, Bsarge and I get together weekly, if its too cold to fly we just get breakfast..Rog
Old 11-08-2008, 05:47 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker

I've got a Cellpro 4S charger I really like. I've not used anything else since I'm new to these things too, but it sure does work well and has many good reviews too.
DT, where did the cellpro come from?...Rog
Old 11-08-2008, 10:11 PM
RichT

The $40 Turnigy Accucell-6 from Hobbycity is awesome. I'm charging Lipos and NiMh. Lots of different settings, completely controllable and safe. Even charging two 3S at the same time with balancing when I want to save time. Love it. Service and delivery were great. Recieved from HK just 5 days after ordering. REcommend the courrier rather than air mail as the delivery for the regular air mail service was 2-3 weeks.. so for ~$5 more the courier service is well worth it to me.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:44 PM
digital_trucker

Rog, I ordered mine direct. Got it quick, too.

http://www.fmadirect.com/
Old 11-10-2008, 02:12 AM
flyinrog

I went to fma and the first one that popped up was $189 so I left the site...guess I shoulda looked around abit but I have had good results with hobbico stuff so I ordered the mark 2 at the $49 price (I see the 4s fma one is that much too) and a couple of jacks to go with it..thanks all you guys...Rog