Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Jeremyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal?

I just installed a electrifly 35-30-1250 outrunner and a ss-35 electrifly ESC but when I ran it for the first time in my house it smells like electrical does when it gets hot. Is this normal?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:04 PM
patnchris

Default RE: Is this normal?

That depends on how long and how high you "ran it up".....Running a motor at full throttle for more a minute or so, while retaining the plane to a bench is a bad thing. Most will overheat and burn up. This is more predominate if you are running it out on the extreme edge....Pat
Old 11-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Jeremyd

this was only for about 25-30 seconds wide open then I shut it down
Old 11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Like Pat said, it sounds like you hurt the esc and maybe even the motor.

Like you think, the smell is something getting hot.

What happens is you did what is called a LONG static run up. With minimal or no airflow over the motor/esc/and pack, things get hot really quick.

And no the prop isn't doing much to cool those items. Airflow is at it's lowest on a prop at the center. Right where your motor and such are.

Take a look at the esc for the shrink wrap to be deformed, and or hot spots showing on it.
Find them and it's a sure sign you wounded the esc.

As for the motor, it may not exibit signs on the outside of overheating. You may have to look at the motor windings for signs of discoloration. And even if you don't find any, it doesn't mean you didn't hurt the motor too.

The magnets can be damaged/weakened by overheating. The motor may not show any signs of damage, but won't make the power it was supposed to, now.

Static run ups, should only be long enough to get a wide open throttle reading on a meter.

Otherwise as you may have found out, it can get expensive.

Let us know what you find out.

Brad