Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brand spankin new to electric need advice

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Brand spankin new to electric need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:49 PM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand spankin new to electric need advice

I have a bi-plane with a out-runner and 11.1 v LIPO. I think I run the battery down and now I can't seem to get it to charge. Did I ruin it? It only has about 8-10 flights on it. 1300mAh. Thanks
Old 11-26-2008, 05:23 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Brand spankin new to electric need advice

Could you give us the plane manufacturers name & if this is the first time you ran it all the way down ?

Are you absolutly positive the battery is LIPO ? Does it use a simple, plug in the wall outlet ?

Rich
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM
goirish

It is a 3 cell lipo1300mAh- I have a Accu-cycle elite that will charge lipo's and I also have a Eflite Celectra Li-Po charger that charges 1-3 cells. When I try to use either one and I try to push the start button the light will stay solid for only a few seconds then start blinking. It came off of a Nitro-model pitts. I flew it for a few flights and I know the last flight I flew it until the motor quit. Have a fair amount of experience with nitro but was wanting something for our indoor fly.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:57 PM
goirish

I guess I read someplace on one of the forums that you should not run down the Li-Po's past aa certain point. Should have read the post before I started flying it.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:05 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The chances of 2 chargers dying is very slim.
Do both chargers use the same power supply to feed them? Is it a battery ? If yes. Is it FULLY recharged ? low battery voltages when charging will cause LIPO chargers to kick off.

Do you or someone else have a KNOWN good LIPO to use a a test for the chargers ? Do that & post back. By then a LIPO person should post up to help you.

I only use LIFEpo4 cells.

Do NOT keep trying to charge that 1300 mah pack. It could be risky to you......If everthing else checks out to be OK.

The battery goes to a Radio Shack store for Disposal.

Rich
Old 11-26-2008, 06:42 PM
goirish

My Accu-Cycle has both AC/DC as does the Eflite. I use the Accu-Cycle all the time for my other batteries and TX. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:45 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Try checking the pack's voltage to see if it is 11.1 or more. The charger have a safety built in so a battery that has been run too low isn't able to be re-charged because it is dangerous.

It sounds like it may be ruined , check each cell's voltage and if they are over 2.5 or 3 volts then perhaps someone can tell you how to cheat and possibly save the pack if it isn't puffed already.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:26 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I have revived several packs that others thought were "ruined" and I might be able to tell you how to revive yours, but Lipo's can be very dangerous to play with. I would need more info and instructing you here would be slow and lengthy. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want, and Ill try to help you save the battery. If we succeed, you can post results here if you like.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Witterings

Not sure if this will help you at all ??

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,66784.0.html
Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should not have been able to run the lipo pack down too far if you were using a speed control that was working properly and properly set for low voltage motor cutoff at 3 volts per cell ( 9 volts for a 3 cell pack). If you forgot to disconnect the battery pack after a flight for an extended period of time, the drain of the receiver and servos may have discharged the pack to less than 9 volts and now your charger correctly refuses to charge the pack on lipo charge settings. You can probably revive the pack by charging it up to 9 volts using the Nimh settings then stop charging and resume charging using the Lipo settings for a 3 cell 1300mah pack. You must be careful to observe the pack for any swelling, strange odor or heating while doing this. Best to attempt this outdoors on concrete. I have done this twice without problems and revived packs performed normally.