Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Aerobird tips and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 03:54 AM
Crash_Airlines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird tips and stuff

Originally posted by Sulaco

...One of these days I'm going to mark off a simple runway and test my ability at touch-and-go's...

...P.S. What kind of winds do you usually fly in? 10mph? More? Less?
Sulaco,

I currently only fly in perfectly calm conditions without any kind of breeze. Since I live in Arizona I'm lucky to have some calm days like that. Before I started flying I decided I was going to try to give myself every possible advantage I could to help prevent crashes while I learned how to fly. Calm days and a huge field with no obstructions to run into were two of my prerequisites to making it as easy on myself as I possibly could. I then found this forum and found some more tips from guys like AEAJR to help make my plane more sturdy and some dos and don't to flying. I wouldn't have had as much luck if I didn't read some of their suggestions and past experiences first.

I like your idea of trying to land in a little runway. When I think I get a little better at flying, I'm going to take some toilet paper along and mark a little runway to see if I can land in it. If I can't, I'll just let the airplane glide on past the runway and let it land where it wants so it ends up in one piece.

I plan to continue slow level flights around the field like you mentioned for the time being. After I get a little more comfortable, then I plan on trying some level figure Eights to try to improve my turning in both directions. After I improved both of those things, then I plan to redo them them at higher speeds. If I finally feel comfortable doing all of that, then I plan on trying some stunts. I want to become more instinctive with the plane before I try any stunts. I'm still to reactive and thinking to much for me to have the quick reflexis needed to perform stunts in a blink of an eye. Just going through this learning process is very enjoyable though.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:05 AM
GordonJ

Originally posted by Crash_Airlines
Sulaco,

I currently only fly in perfectly calm conditions without any kind of breeze. Since I live in Arizona I'm lucky to have some calm days like that.
Ahhh...another Arizonan? How nice to have some company!

If you don't mind my asking, whereabouts in AZ do you live? I live in Peoria (far northwest valley), and we've been having some pretty gusty days recently.
I in fact took my Aerobird out this morning around 8:30 or so, and the winds out in the little field i fly in were already gusting around 8-10 mph.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:12 AM
Crash_Airlines

Originally posted by AEAJR
Batteries:

Here is my advice.

...So, if you put yourself on a 20-25 minute cycle per flight, you can get in 2-3 flights per hour all day long....

If you do use the 7 cell, remember that this will shift the CG slightly forward. You can fly the plane this way but it gets a little nose heavy.

I cut the foam block that sits between the battery and the control board. I cut it top to bottom right down the middle. When I have the 6 cell in, both pieces of foam are together. When I have the 7 cell in, I move that cut piece of foam in to the front of the plane which moves the battery back about 3/8 of an inch. This keeps the plane in good balance.

You can fly it without doing this, but it won't glide as nicely as it becomes a little nose heavy. You will also notice that it tends to drop more on launches.

The 7 cell gives you more power, but generally not more time...

Hope that wasn't toooooooo long an answer.

Clear skies and safe flying.
Thanks again for the info. That 20-25 minute flight cycle sounds like a plan. The only disappointment for me so far is the short flights. I'd like to be out there an hour or two if I could. Your way sounds good.

Thanks for the added info about the weight gain with the 7 cell. The modification you mentioned to counter act the additional weight will come in handy too from the way it sounds.

No answer is to long when it includes all the needed info. You are helping me keep my bird in the air. I can't offer any airplane knowledge to you since I have none, so the best I can offer you are free cyber drinks from the Forum's bartender
Old 07-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Crash_Airlines

Originally posted by GordonJ
Ahhh...another Arizonan? How nice to have some company!

If you don't mind my asking, whereabouts in AZ do you live? I live in Peoria (far northwest valley), and we've been having some pretty gusty days recently.
I in fact took my Aerobird out this morning around 8:30 or so, and the winds out in the little field i fly in were already gusting around 8-10 mph.
I live in Chandler. Arizona is usually pretty calm minus the monsoons, but lately it has been more windy than usual in the evenings when I would like to fly. So I've been forcing myself out of bed at 5:30 in the morning to fly my plane when it's perfectly calm out. I'm not a morning person either, but I've been itching to fly this thing. I just don't want to chance it in the wind yet until I become better at it. I hope I get better quick so I can get some sleep
Old 07-04-2003, 12:39 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One note on flight times.

If you run full throttle, expect flight times of 5-6 minutes. Half throttle about 10-14 minutes. If you glide from time to time, as I do, or cut way back on the power, you can go 15+

I usually plan on a 12 minute flight which is safe based on my flying style.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Crash_Airlines

One note on flight times.

If you run full throttle, expect flight times of 5-6 minutes. Half throttle about 10-14 minutes. If you glide from time to time, as I do, or cut way back on the power, you can go 15+

I usually plan on a 12 minute flight which is safe based on my flying style.
I have to start paying more attention to my flight times. I read some posters talk about using timers. I wasn't to concerned with flight times because I figured since I'm basically only doing slow, level flights, I'll just coast it down if my battery runs out. Today the battery ran out just as I was making one of my launches, so that launch went into the ground. No damage though.

The entire day was kind of weird for me. My motor didn't want to start at first. At first I thought it was a bad connection with the battery, but the control rudders worked. I couldn't get it to go, so I finally did the opposite of what I was supposed to do and I reinserted the battery with the remote control off. Then I was able to start the motor. Kind of weird since I didn't crash or anything during my last flight from the day before.

My flights were kind of shakey today too. I felt I regressed a little instead of progressing. No crashes, but a few times I misjudged which direction the plane was going. If the plane tilts certain angles at times, I had a hard time judging which direction it was going or which way it was turning. Because of that I also felt like it almost flew out of range a couple of times on me today. That's a scary feeling.

At least it never did though and no crashes to report.

Have a Happy 4th everyone!
Old 07-04-2003, 03:47 PM
aeajr

If your battery ran out on a launch you REALLY need a timer. That should NEVER happen.

2) Your transmitter has a range of 1/2 mile or 1 KM, which ever you like, so the plane would really have to be far away for you to lose it.

I alway use a timer. $10 at radio shack. Better to have power left than to run out at the wrong time.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:42 PM
Crash_Airlines

I was in the battery forum, and I asked if I could use an adapter to convert my cigarette lighter into 2 sockets where I could plug in 2 chargers to charge 2 sets of batteries at the same time for my Aerobird. One poster said I could. I found such an adapter at the link below. Does anyone see any potential problems doing this? It seems like it should work OK, but I just wanted to see if anyone maybe sees a potential problem this could cause that I'm not aware of. Thanks.

http://www.hardwares.globalsources.c...=3000000151337
Old 07-07-2003, 12:26 AM
aeajr

No problem charging with two chargers at once. I do it all the time. Those devices can be found at any automotive store, radio shack and other local places. Sometimes it doesn't pay to buy stuff off the interent.

I don't like the hard molded ones like that. If you can, find one that has a single plug that goes into your lighter, then has two or more plugs attached to it buy wires so that you don't have all this weight hanging on the one plugged into the car. Also, the bulk of the molded ones sometimes won't fit into the space where your ligher is in the car.

My Taurus has two ports. One for a lighter and another power port so I don't even need a splitter, but I have used them before with no problems.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:55 AM
GordonJ

While we are on this topic, are there any other chargers available for the Aerobird? Like one that perhaps plugs into a wall socket or other battery?
If not, are there any fast chargers that charge the batter faster then the standard charger?
Old 07-07-2003, 01:41 AM
Crash_Airlines

While we are on this topic, are there any other chargers available for the Aerobird? Like one that perhaps plugs into a wall socket or other battery?
If not, are there any fast chargers that charge the batter faster then the standard charger?
I was interested in a wall charger too, but the only one I could find so far was the following one that takes 3 hours to charge from the way it sounds.

http://h1070635.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...p?prod=HBZ2015
Old 07-07-2003, 01:50 AM
aeajr

As far as chargers go, you can use any charger that will charge NiMH batteries. In addition to the two Aerobird chargers, I also have a Hitec C340, but I still use the Aerobird chargers most of the time as I feel they are convenient and do a good job.

In the house the only AC charger I have I use for the battery in my computer radio and the receiver pack for may Sailplane.

As far as charging in the house, there are three approaches.

1) get a peak charger that works off AC

2) Get a 120 to 12V converter and plug your 12 volt charger into that

3) I use one of these which is really a jump starter for a car, but it also has a power port that I plug my Aerobird chargers into.
http://www.brandsonsale.com/porjumstarba.html

I have seen these type of items from $35-$50 at close out stores or buying clubs. Lots of people at our field use them instead of their car battery. The nice thing is you can take them anywhere. You charger these off of house current.

If you want to charge in the house, I would go with #3 just because you can take it other places where your car might not be able to go.

As for charging time, the Aerobird packs are 900mAh. The fastest you can charge them is about 1.2 Ah. That equates to about 40 minutes. That is about as fast as you dare charge them without damaging them.

If you have 4 batteries, or three batteries and two chargers, you can pretty much stay up all day, so charging speed doesn't have to be an issue. See my post above about how to use multiple batteries.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:03 AM
beginnerflyer

I also have an aerobird, and have flown it 5 out of 6 times successfully. About how many charges can you get out of a car battery without risk of not being able to start the car?
Also, where can I buy the 120 to 12 volt converter that aeajr spoke of?
Old 07-08-2003, 12:49 AM
aeajr

You can charge your plane's battery all day without concern about starting your care, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T LEAVE THE INTERIOR LIGHT ON BY LEAVING THE DOOR OPEN!

As far as AC/DC Chargers and AC to DC converters, here are few examples.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBAS0&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?
&I=LXBAS1&P=7

http://www.rcmodels.com/rc-mrc-rb959.html

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLD5&P=7

AC Peak Charger
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?

&I=LXCJE2&P=7

AC/DC converter
http://www.nesail.com/FMA/10amp.htm
Old 07-08-2003, 03:15 AM
beginnerflyer

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Crash_Airlines

You can charge your plane's battery all day without concern about starting your care, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T LEAVE THE INTERIOR LIGHT ON BY LEAVING THE DOOR OPEN!

As far as AC/DC Chargers and AC to DC converters, here are few examples.

http://www.rcmodels.com/rc-mrc-rb959.html

[/url]
AEAJR,

Does the plug on the end of this charger fit exactly into the plug on the Aerobird's battery pack?

If down the road I purchase other electric planes, is there some kind of adapter to connect to the batteries for those planes? I'm not sure what the normal chargers/connectors for those batteries look like. I figure if I get a charger, I should get one that could fit my Aerobird's battery and possible future plane batteries if I can. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:41 AM
aeajr

I don't have this charger, so I can't say. However the picture sure looks like the plug on the Aerobird.

I would send the company an e-mail and ask them. You might have to go to a hobby store and buy a connector and make up an adapter.

You can get the right plug here for $1

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=HBZ1081

If the plug on the charger is not right for you, get the oen from Horizon hobby and just solder it onto the wires along with the original plug. Then you will have two different connectors you can use with your charger.

Personally I use the Aerobird chargers in the house off of one of these auto battery boosters. Lots of people in our club have them, but whatever works for you.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:53 AM
Crash_Airlines

I don't have this charger, so I can't say. However the picture sure looks like the plug on the Aerobird.

I would send the company an e-mail and ask them. You might have to go to a hobby store and buy a connector and make up an adapter.

You can get the right plug here for $1

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=HBZ1081

If the plug on the charger is not right for you, get the oen from Horizon hobby and just solder it onto the wires along with the original plug. Then you will have two different connectors you can use with your charger.

Personally I use the Aerobird chargers in the house off of one of these auto battery boosters. Lots of people in our club have them, but whatever works for you.
When you charge non-Aerobird plane batteries using the auto battery booster, do you still use the Aerobird cigarette lighter charger but attach it to that $1 plug you linked above and then attach the ends of that to your other plane batteries?
Old 07-09-2003, 06:25 AM
aeajr

So far I am only charging aerobird batteries. You would need an adapter for what ever kind of battery you are trying to charge. Or you can change all of your batteries to a common connector.

I cut the connector off of the Aerobird and all the batteries and replaced them with Deans Ultra connectors because I had two Aerobird crashes caused by the lousy tamaya connectors that the aerobird uses.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:26 AM
aeajr

This might be fun on an Aerobird.

How about Air to Air combat?

I may have found the way to adapt the Fighter bird sonic gun to ANY airplane. Has anyone tried to build one of these?

http://www.rc-cam.com/combat.htm

This project shows you how to build an aerial combat system for your R/C model airplane. Successful "kills" are marked by a temporary loss of motor power and audible alarm.

Anyone good at building this kind of stuff?
Old 07-09-2003, 10:53 PM
GordonJ

I have another question about the Aerobird's battery.

All the flights I've made with the Aerobird to date, I've charged the battery RIGHT before I flew, to the point where it would still be charging as I drove to my field.
I'd have to time my charging just right and be able to anticipate when i'd be going to fly.

So my question is: How long after the battery has been fully charged can it sit before it starts to lose some of its charge?
If I have the battery fully charged by, say, 5:30pm, and I go flying around 7:30, will the battery have lost any measureable charge??
Old 07-09-2003, 11:50 PM
aeajr

They say about 1% per day for Nicads and NiMh.

I just top them up on the way to the field.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:32 AM
beginnerflyer

1%? Twice I charged the battery and flew the next day only to find that there wasn't enough power to start the motor. I used a wall charger, but it had worked well on other occasions.
It works fine if i top it up, though
Old 07-10-2003, 04:08 AM
GordonJ

What exactly do you guys mean by "top it up"?
Old 07-10-2003, 05:10 AM
Crash_Airlines

What exactly do you guys mean by "top it up"?
I think they mean "Top it off".

I fully charge my battery the night before, but rechargable batteries lose a little power even if they aren't being used. So I also charge them on the drive to the field to top off the charge so I know I have a 100% fully charged battery. The "Top Off" charge usually takes less than 5 minutes because I fully charged them the night before. I don't know if this is the best way to charge batteries, but that's what I do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.