Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Money no object. what Charger?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Money no object. what Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:08 PM
bradley
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Money no object. what Charger?

Hello
I wish to buy a new charger. Money is not a concern. Quality and versatility is. Fly Glow and Electrics.
Want Nicad/Nimh and Lithium, Charge balance built in. Prefer multi simultaneous charge outlets. 12v input only. Big backlit screen. Getting older, small letters that are dark are getting to be a pain for me in the last few years?
I currently have this charge equipment
• Astro flight 109? Not happy with this. Too simple, can be fooled and destroy packs.
• Robbe Infinity 2. Great charger years of use. Dated design, Needs bigger brighter backlit screen
• Hobbico Quick field charger mark 2. Good field use for Nicad and Nimh top ups. Don't use for my expensive lithium’s. Always in my TX case.
• Flight power V balance unit
Recommendations?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Money no object. what Charger?

FMA Direct CellPro Mulit-4 a great charger for under US$100.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:56 PM
nitrohog

I would get a cellpro 10s for lipo duty and match it with a great planes triton2 to tackle the nimh, nicad, and lead acid duty.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

If it's strictly for LiPos, then you can't beat an AstroFlite 109 along with their Blinky balancer for large batteries. The latest version with the Ver 2 chip solves all the previous problems. I would also consider a Bantam BC6. This has a built in power supply so it can be powered by 110 V AC or 12 V DC.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 PM
bradley

Thanks Nitrohog. The Cellpro 10 looks interesting. hadn't seen that befroe. The others people have suggested models that don't fit the requirements
I was also thinking Orbit,Shulze and possibly a new Triton available soon? Anyone have any info on the new Triton coming soon?

TritonZX DC Chgr Dsch Cycler Balancer. listed on Tower, URL below
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAJ1&P=ML
Thanks
Old 12-20-2008, 10:27 PM
bradley

Eplane65
Little learey on the 109 like i have. Can barely trust it unsupervised. It has destroyed packs and i know of 2 fires from these charges in my area. Both guys tossed thier chargers in the garbage.
You mention a version 2 chip? I see listed a chip to convert to version 1.7 avaialbe on Towers site. Is this the fix you mention or soemthjing else. IT would be nice to fix up my 109 to be safe? Never have too many chargers?
Thanks
Old 12-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Springer
My Feedback: (1)

If cost is no issue they I would suggest the EOS610 Duo from Hyperion. I have one and it has been great. I built an AC power supply out of a PC power supply so I can plug it in at home. It is actually 2 individual chargers built into one unit. It has been totally reliable. I charge everything on it except A123s. I don't have any of those yet but the Hyperion will charge it. Here are the specs.

* 1-6 Cells Lithium Polymer
* 1-6 Cells Lithium Ion
* 1-6 Cells A123
* 1-16 Cells Nicd/Nimh
* 1-12 Lead Acid
* Adjustable Power Sharing (%) Between Outputs
* 2 Built-in LBA10 Balancers
* 0.1 ~ 10.0A Charge Current
* 360-Watts Max Output
* TCS – Terminal Capacity Selection
* PC Port for Data Logging and Firmware Upgrades
* Temp Sensor Ports
* Wide Voltage Input Range 11v~28v
* Power Supply Amperage Control to allow reliable with lower-output power supplies
* Power Supply Voltage Control (PS Load Control) works in concert with Amperage control to insure the charger does not overload your power supply
* Output Cords Included
* Dual Cooling Fans
* 20 User Definable Memory Positions

About $240 but I don't regret spending the money.
Here is a link to where I bought it. - http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3589
Old 12-21-2008, 12:33 AM
bradley

Springer has a winner I think? Very Slick unit this new HYPERION EOS0610I DUO2. Power Supply? I have had a massive 30 amp unit in my shop for over 20 years. Got it off a Ham guy many years ago. Commonly run 2 or more chargers simultanously
Anyone other suggestions? My Visa is fallling out of my wallet after looking at this last one?
Thanks
Old 12-21-2008, 12:11 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Frankly, if the budget allows, I would consider two chargers, especially if you are going more to the electric side. Having the ability to charge a NiXX pack and a Lipo pack at the same time is a great asset, especially when you are getting everything ready the night before.

If you fly larger electrics as well as glow, I would encourage this even more. Those big A123 packs or Big Lipos are great, but if you are depending on the same charger to handle you receiver packs or your Nixx packs for other planes, then you have to wait for the charger to be finished to put on the next pack.

I like the Cellpro 10X for the big Lithium packs.
Then the 4S multi, or the Triton for multi purpose charging.

Now you can handle anything and you can charge 2-3 packs at a time.

Both of these chargers can charge your lipos at up to 3C charge rate.

$190 for the 10S
http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...0s_charger.htm

$80 for the 4S multi
http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/multi4.html

Now you can do up to 3 packs at once.

2 5 cell lipos plus a 4 cell lipo
2 5 cell lipos and a NIXX pack

1 10 cell lipo and a 4 cell lip or a NIXX pack.

If you are getting into those BIG lipo packs and plan to charge them multiple times, you might not want to use your car battery. Or make sure you have a car jumper pack handy, just in case you suck out too much juice from your car's battery. Something like this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00684298000P

Old 12-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Springer

I have an Accu-Cycle Elite and the Hyperion. That gives me the ability to charge 4 packs at a time. The Hyperion can easily handle 2 large LiPo packs if the power supply is good. The 20 amp will be fine.

It is still not enough chargers. I fly Giant Scale Gas, Nitro, and Electric. I bring my Son to the field to fly too. Including the TX for both of us I could have 8 packs to charge not counting spares for the Electrics. That also does not include the starter battery and Glow Driver. I do the packs that can charge quickly first and then the others. You have to listen for the end of charge alarm and switch packs. Make sure to always recheck the settings. You could have a problem if you forget to switch to the correct memory setting for the new pack. I still end up putting something on a wall wort charger just to get everything done.

Depending on how many things you need to charge the Hyperion and a few cheaper chargers for RX and TX packs would be a good idea. I know I have to buy another.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:54 PM
bradley

Springer
like you i have a need for multiple charger and fly a wide range of aircraft. Giant,Pattern,Float,Heli and Park flyers. A mix of Nitro and Electric. Now all on 2.4Ghz. Thanks for the advice on the settings Springer

aeajr
The FMA Cellpro 10X, Can't get to excited about it. No NiXX ability. Versitity is the goal and this is close but not close enough in my books. Power sources in my shop and at the field are well establihed and never an issue. Have a 30 amp unit in the shop and carry a second deep cycle battery rigged and charged in the box of my truck

The Hyperion unit is still in the lead to my requirements.

Others?
Thanks Brad
Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 PM
bradley

Still somewhat interested in this new TritonZX DC Chgr Dsch Cycler Balancer. Can find little info on it?
Anyone?
Old 12-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: bradley

Eplane65
Little learey on the 109 like i have. Can barely trust it unsupervised. It has destroyed packs and i know of 2 fires from these charges in my area. Both guys tossed thier chargers in the garbage.
You mention a version 2 chip? I see listed a chip to convert to version 1.7 avaialbe on Towers site. Is this the fix you mention or soemthjing else. IT would be nice to fix up my 109 to be safe? Never have too many chargers?
Thanks
Ver 2.0 chip is available from Astro Flite. I emailed them and told them I updated my 209 from ver 1.5 to 1.7 and felt that another upgrade was more than I should pay for. They sent me a free 2.0 chip. I like the 109 because it can handle all sizes of packs. I've owned mine for several years and I trust it as much as any. It also can charge packs that have been overdischarged by allowing you to charge at a 0.1C rate to get the cells over 3 volts before charging at the regular 1C rate. It's a good charger and like any of them, when you first plug in your pack, be sure it recognizes the number of cells. I question anything that is "automatic".

P.S.: Those of you looking for a charger to charge large capacity packs like a 5000 mah, be sure the charger you choose can do it. Some chargers are limited to 50W charge rate even though they say you can charge at 5 amps. Figure it out: P=EI.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:49 PM
jmir

I have been using the TP 610C for quite some time with very good results.
I use a 50 amp ham radio power supply for at-home charging.

Take a look:

http://www.readyheli.com/Thunder_Pow...r_p/tp610c.htm
Old 12-27-2008, 03:16 PM
bradley

EPlane65
I took your advice and looked into the new 2.0 chip. Info is pasted below.
Cell count errors is what was causing fires or destroying packs. Discharging was a problem since it went too low. That caused me a great deal of grief with my v balnace unit (Too low to register). It appears that is also fixed too? looks like they have a good fix now for this unit.
I always watch the cell count when it starts. the 109 was killing packs when it went to stage 2 or 3. the probelm should have vanished now?
I too have had a 109 since they hit the market. Works but had problems. Maybe i should just order one of the new upgrade chips and give it another try?
Probably order another charger anyhow. Can't have too many.
Thanks for the advice

550 Upgrade chip for 109 Lithium Poly Charger Version 2.0
$15.00

Upgrade micro chip for model 109 Lithium Charger.
This micro chip is easy to install. It plugs into the socket on your circuit board and upgrades your charger to the latest Software Version 2.0 released in March 2008. Remove the four screws which are holding the charger together. Flip the charger over into the gray tub. Use needle nose pliers to carefully remove (wiggle upwards) the old chip from its' socket and carefully press in the new chip. The small notch on the chip faces the middle of the charger, not the edge of the charger. If it goes in backwards no harm will be done, but you will see black squares on the display. You may use a Popsicle stick to guide in the feet and press gently. The new features:
1. Cell Count is Locked in as soon as battery is detected.
2. Time out is increased from 1 hour to 10 hours.
3. Amp Hours are increased for 9.5 to 95 amp hours.
4. Now you can charge large packs in parallel.
5. Discharge stops at 3.2 volts per cell.
6. Charging stops at 4.2 volts per cell.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:20 PM
bradley

JMIR
Looks like a good charger,However
Only one output (need 2) and too low power output for my needs(80 watt)
Hyperion leads still.
Still looking for info on the new triton?
Thanks
Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 PM
bradley

Schulze chargers?
How about info on the new Schulze Next Gen series of chargers out? Always heard good things about schulze but bigger in Europe than North America?
Anyone try one?
Thanks