Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

T-6 under powered?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 05:29 AM
scudrunner77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-6 under powered?

Besides a few finishing touches I though this T-6 (House of Balsa) that I converted to electric was ready for it's first flight. I taxied it around a bit, and then gave it a full throttle run. It got up some speed, but it did not seem like it would be enough to get it air-born so I backed off. Would anyone have any ideas on a good motor/prop/battery set up. I used a setup out of a broken trainer someone gave me. I think it is a speed 500 motor with a Master Airscrew 8x4 prop and I am using 7.2 volts. The plane has a 43 inch wing span and weights 52 ounces.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	83731_36487.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	49178  
Old 06-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

That is one of the WORST possible power systems for any airplane! It's why many people became prejudiced against electric airplanes, and why many still are today. It's way too heavy for the power it puts out, and it's horribly inefficient. The only reason it was designed was because of the limitations of battery and charger technology at the time. The only motors available at the time were car motors, and the only batteries available at the time were 6 or 7-cell car packs.

Only the lightest little park fliers will fly well on 6 cells. You need a minimum of 8 to fly a .15 size airplane, and at least 10 for a .25 size. A gearbox is also a must on most planes; direct drive is simply too inefficient. Large props with steep pitches spinning at lower RPMs will give you signifigantly better thrust, and extend flight times, without sacrificing the flying qualities of the airplane.

As far as a specific power system, I can't really say. I don't know enough about the airplane you're using, how big it is, how much it weighs, etc.. You can probably put a gearbox on the motor you have, perhaps a 2:1, use an 8-cell battery made from CP1300SCR cells (2/3 the size of car pack cells, so 8 will fit in the same space as a 6-cell car pack, and weigh the same), and prop it for 20-25 Amps, which means a 10x7 or 10x8 APC Electric prop.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:36 AM
scudrunner77

Thanks- Unfortunately the built in speed controller that is with the receiver (Futaba) can only handle 8.4volts. So 8-10 cells is out of the question. I guess I am using some pretty old equipment. Maybe I should not have tried a custom set up on my first electric... I won't be discouraged. There are to many fields in my backyard not to have an electric for a nice quiet after work flight!