Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aerobird X-Pack upgrade - worth it?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Aerobird X-Pack upgrade - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 08:49 PM
david a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird X-Pack upgrade - worth it?

I have the Aerobird and it flies horribly with stock tail. I'm thinking of getting the X-Pack upgrade (larger control surface) for it, but don't want to waste my money if it wouldn't make a difference in flying. Anyone tried it yet?
Old 06-06-2003, 09:15 PM
plant

I have bought the X-pack but I havent installed the tail yet because I am so happy with my standard tail modification.

I agree with you - it flies like a cow with those wimpy little control surfaces - I was really getting frustrated until I tried a mod which works a treat. I took an old credit card sized video shop card i didnt want and cut it in half, then taped each half to the control surfaces - with most of the half card extending beyond the standard tail edge. There's probably a good inch of extra length on each.

Major difference, as you would imagine.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:33 PM
david a

I did the same thing, only I used some heavy card stock paper and increased the depth of the control surface by 5/8". It was a little more responsive but still plowed into the ground and broke the main wing into two pieces. I was on Hobby Warehouse's website getting ready to order the new wing and X-Pack, but decided to check here first before making the purchase.

The credit card type extension sounds like a better way to go than the card stock, as it would be less prone to flexing under force. What type of tape did you use?
Old 06-06-2003, 11:19 PM
Tasmania

I have the X Pack tail and there is a slight difference, but you may want to try this mod to the standard tail first, it makes a huge difference

Taz
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	84443_33231.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	49492  
Old 06-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Tasmania

close up

Name:	84444_33231.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	49493  
Old 06-07-2003, 05:49 AM
david a

So you just extended the control surface by slightly cutting the foam on across to the edge of the tail. I take it worked well then? No problems with the servo and string pulling the larger control surface?
Old 06-07-2003, 08:38 AM
Tasmania

No problems David, yes just cut through the top skin and then the foam being careful not to cut through the bottom skin as it then becomes the extended hinge, you do have to carve the foam into a V shape along the cut to give you some up elevator, no problem with the servos and the elastic band all worked well.

Be prepared for the extra control when you hand launch the plane, I bought the X-Pack at the same time I did this mod and fitted the 7 cell battery but just tried this on the old standard tail to see what would happen. I was over controlling for about the first 10 seconds but soon got the hang of it
Old 06-08-2003, 06:11 AM
plant

Hi David - in answer to your question, I just use some reasonably thick cloth/duct tape - from the top of the control surface where the hinge is, along the top of the credit card and over the edge and underneath the card to overlap to the underside of the existing control surface. Stops it flapping about.

The other method posted here in this thread looks pretty cool too but a fair bit more involved it seems and theres no going back once you start cutting the tail up. The beauty with the "tape a bit of plastic to it" method is that you can just take em off and try something else if it doesnt work as you expected - no cutting or scoring required. or vary the amount of overhang to get it just how you want.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:31 AM
stevennh

I switched to the X-Pack tail right after I bought the plane. It does make a difference. With the X-Pack and the control lines connected as close to the tail as possible I get reasonable control. The standard tails are fairly cheap if you are worried about damage in modifications. I think they were around $7.00 at the hobby shop. I think I will try Tasmania's modification on my original tail.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Tasmania

I also drilled a couple of new holes further down the control horn on the X-Pack tail to give even more control (or more out of control as the case maybe )

I can't use the bottom hole though as the hinge won't move any further

Name:	85163_33231.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	49494  
Old 06-11-2003, 05:59 PM
PINETAR

Tasmania - I like your mod where you extended the control surface... I would like to try this? Did you melt the plastic or what? I was thinking about using a soldering iron or somethink like that?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Tasmania

Pinetar, I just made a straight V shaped cut along the top of the tail though the top skin and the foam with a sharp knife extending the hinge and control surface all the way to the edge, but be careful not to cut through the bottom skin as it is used to hinge the control surface.

I did this after I had bought a spare tail in case either I stuffed it up or it didn’t work, as it’s a one way street, once you’ve cut it and taped the old and new surfaces together and then find out that you are not ready for the dramatically increased control , there’s no going back , although you could probably just tape over the cut and make it back to normal. It certainly gives more response. good luck

Taz
Old 06-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Screamin_Injun

I think the X pack tail works fine. I can do as many loops and tail slides as my battery lets me. Later on if I upgrade my plane totally I might try the neato tail mod. The original tail does give you only minimal acrobatics though.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:30 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Center of Gravity

If you are using a 7 cell battery, you will get a faster plane and better climb. However you will also shift the center of gravity forward slightly. Not enough that the plane won't fly, but enough that it will seem to be nose heavy. If you are an aggressive, full throttle flyer, you probably won't notice. If you are more of a half throttle cruiser, like me, you will find the plane needs up trim all the time. Here is how you fix it.

The foam that sits between the battery and ahead of the electronics puts the 6 cell exactly where it needs to be to balance the plane, but the 7 cell is heavier. Remove the side pins and pull the foam out. Now, cut it from top to bottom about half way in, just in front of where the pins that hold it in-place enter the foam from the side. Now put the remaining piece back in the plane. When you fly the 6 cell, put the moveable piece behind the battery in its normal place. If you are flying the 7 cell, put the moveable piece forward of the battery. This will shift it back 1/2 inch and put the CG right where it should be. The plane will fly better at all speeds and will launch much better as well.

Longer flights

Back off on the power. Both the 6 and 7 cell battery will last five to seven minutes at full power. However, if you back off to half power, your flights can last 10-12 minutes depending on the wind. If you back off to 1/4 throttle or glide, you can stretch beyond 15 minutes.

Also, when you charge your batteries, charging at a lower rate gets fuller charges. If you are not at the field, but are charging up after the day is over, or the night before, charge at .6 to .8 amps instead of the full 1.2 amps. It will take longer, but will heat the cells less and will more fully charge the battery.