Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie Question- Mountain Models

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Newbie Question- Mountain Models

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 01:11 PM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question- Mountain Models

Wanted to get into Electric, with the bad weather and muddy fields, Glow is not working this year. So, I was thinking of building a Mountain Models Super Dandy. Anyone built one? Should I buy their entire package for $164 or just the kit and piece other parts from other sources?

Also, due to weight conservation, should you use a different coating (other than Ultracote) to cover the plane? Is Ultracote too heavy?
Old 06-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

(removed unapproved link)

From the looks of it, it's a good plane just like all the Mountain Models products.

If you feel confident in choosing your own gear, then just get the kit. However, if this is your first electric and motors, batteries, micro servos, ESCs and the lot are foriegn and confusing to you, you should get the entire package so you can see what goes into making a good electric plane fly.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Arrow>>-->

I have a Dandy with the regular and Sport wing. I am just flying with the regular wing right now until I upgrade to a 4 channel TX. I am sure you could check around and find the extras at around the same price but Doug seems to give pretty good deals on his stuff.

As far as covering I would go with the Solite. It is a very lightweight covering. It is not to difficult to use once you get the hang of it.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:06 PM
ElectriFan-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

First, Doug makes awesome models/kits. He is also a great guy. I'd say you give him a call and let him steer you to what you want/need, you'll be glad you did because very few know his models better than him.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

I have the Dandy Sport, and enjoy it very much. It's stable, yet aerobatic, and has no bad habbits that I've seen.

I would think Ultracote would be quite heavy on this plane since it's designed to have an AUW of around 12-18oz. I covered mine in Solite.

I'd recomend going for the package Doug offeres. It's proven to be a good combo. If you want to upgrade the motor you could go to an Astro 010 brushless and keep using the light 720mah packs or go ultra light with some Li-Poly packs.

Jason