Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

GWS Tiger Moth 400 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 PM
outpost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Tiger Moth 400 question

Is the GWS Tiger Moth 400 from http://microrcflyer.com/airplane.htm the kit? Im not sure if it is. All that it says is it comes with the 400 motor. If this is not a good site to buy from please tell me where I can get this model. Are all the other GWS models on that site kits too? TIA
-cade-
Old 03-26-2009, 11:04 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: GWS Tiger Moth 400 question

As far as I know the Tiger Moth is only available as a kit. But it is a pretty easy kit. You don't actually build the wings or the fuselage you just join a couple of large molded pieces. I consider GWS foam its as "semi-ARFs". In the typical wood kit you have to build the wing and the fuselage which is a LOT more time and effort.

Try it, you'll like it!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:20 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: outpost

Is the GWS Tiger Moth 400 from http://microrcflyer.com/airplane.htm the kit? Im not sure if it is. All that it says is it comes with the 400 motor. If this is not a good site to buy from please tell me where I can get this model. Are all the other GWS models on that site kits too? TIA
-cade-
The price looks good. I picked one up at the Lebanon Flea Market, new in box w/the floats also new in box for $35.00.

It goes together very easy, the instructions are not the best, but there is a Greg Convey report on the building of this kit here in Rcuniverse that is very helpful (if you need help). I will have mine ready this weekened but it might not maiden until the weather improves... I just needed something to play with at a pond:-)

All you will need are the servos, a controller and a reciever. I am using a Hitec 555 receiver and Hitec servos (HS-55), I purchased a GWS controller and a 1320 lithium battery. You get the motor, a gear reduction, the prop and even a tube of glue. I used 5' epoxy in most cases, and I used the glue provided for the hinges...

Good luck!

Gerry
Old 03-26-2009, 11:32 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Note that GWS glue is excellent but there are no instructions. This is contact cement. You spread it on both surfaces, then give it 15 seconds to a minute to set. Then join the parts. The longer it sets the faster it grabs. So if you have to slide the parts together, a shorter set is better. If you use it like regular white glue it can take hours to set.

Epoxy, white and yellow glue or foam save CA will work too.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:16 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aeajr

Note that GWS glue is excellent but there are no instructions. This is contact cement. You spread it on both surfaces, then give it 15 seconds to a minute to set. Then join the parts. The longer it sets the faster it grabs. So if you have to slide the parts together, a shorter set is better. If you use it like regular white glue it can take hours to set.

Epoxy, white and yellow glue or foam save CA will work too.
Thank you! That explains it! It works great with the hinges:-) I finished the plane today, using a mostly 5 min. epoxy. All I have left is re-bore the prop (hole too small for the gear reduction shaft). I still did not figure out how to mount the spinner. I guess it will have to be re-drilled also and just push in onto the shaft. I see no way to securing it. Almost done with the floats too.

Gerry