Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:49 PM
PAUL14750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAD A SPINAL CORD INJURY C5 C6 MANY YEARS AGO WHICH LEFT ME A QUADRIPLEGIC. I DRIVE MY ELECTRIC WHEELCHAIR WITH A JOYSTICK WITH MY RIGHT HAND. WHAT I NEED IS TO HAVE A RC REMOTE THAT I CAN OPERATE IN THE SAME MANNER AS MY WHEELCHAIRPUSH FORWARD TO GO FORWARD, BACK TO GO BACK, SIDE TO SIDE TO GO LEFT OR RIGHT. IS ANYONE OUT THERE CAPABLE OF BUILDING ONE FOR A REMOTE CONTROL AIRPLANE OR KNOW WHERE I COULD GET ONE? IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME THAT WOULD BE GREAT. I WOULD GLADLY PAY FOR THE CONTROL. [email protected]
Old 04-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Paul,

How much dexterity do you have in your hand? You'll need fairly fine motor control in your fingers to effectively control an airplane.

A standard R/C transmitter may suit your needs. The joysticks have removable knobs that can be replaced with whatever shape best suits your needs.

I once worked with a young man who only had one working arm and hand. He was able to operate the aileron/elevator stick with his good hand, and his father fashioned an extension for the throttle so he could get to it with his hand. The young man was able to get as far as learning to land, but unfortunately we never saw him again.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 AM
grimmy55

Gid day mate ,Sorry to hear of your injuries but I do have an answer for you or a way to an answer I met a guy in Blenuim New Zealand whose only got 1 arm and 1 leg and hes flying thanks to radio from U S A his email address is [email protected] his name is Steve I.m sure he,ll answer all you questions regarding the how to on this he,s a real nice guy,, hope this helps all the best Paul
Old 04-19-2009, 08:14 PM
PAUL14750

I READ YOUR POST. I CAN NOT MOVE MY FINGERS, I CAN MOVE MY ARMS WITH MY BICEPS. I WORK THE JOYSTICK ON MY ELECTRIC WHEELCHAIR PERFECTLY. PUSH/PULL FOR FORWARD AND BACK, SIDE TO SIDE FOR LEFT AND RIGHT. I'D LOVE TO HAVE A REMOTE CONTROL THAT OPERATES TE SAME AS THE ONE ON MY WHEELCHAIR. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS? THANKS PAUL
Old 04-19-2009, 08:20 PM
PAUL14750

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP ON LEFTY. I EMAILED HIM AND AM WAITING FOR HIM TO SEND ME A LINK TO THE COMPANY IN THE USA WHERE HE GOT HIS CONTROL SINCE I LIVE IN THE USA. I'LL HURRY AND GET IT. THANKS AGAIN, PAUL
Old 04-19-2009, 08:48 PM
bobferguson

You might want to look into using a normal radio with a buddy box. Your instructor can control when you have control. I believe if using a Futaba 9C it can be setup for you to control the elevator(pitch) and ailerons/rudder( turning) and let the instructor control the throttle.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:07 PM
jdetray

Hi Paul,

I am phyically handicapped myself, and earlier in my life I was well acquainted with dozens of SCI folks. I know a little bit about power wheelchairs.

The rudder (or ailerons) and elevator of a 3-channel R/C plane are controlled with push-pull and left-right movements of a single stick. The required movements are sometimes very small, which is why fine motor control is a valid concern. The controls of an R/C plane are proportional, meaning that farther you move the stick, the farther the control surfaces on the aircraft move.

So for example, if the plane is in level flight and you push the stick forward by a small amount, the elevator will move down slightly, and the plane will gently descend. However, if you push the stick forward by a large amount, the elevator will move down much farther, and the plane will go into a steep dive. Most of the time, only small control movements are desireable, hence the need for fine control of the stick.

The point is that the controls of a R/C plane are proportional. They are not an all-or-nothing, on-or-off type of control. Very often, you need to move the end of the stick only a fraction of an inch.

It occurs to me that if you lengthened the control stick of a standard R/C transmitter quite a bit, larger movements of the stick could be tolerated. Much depends on how precisely you can move your arm.

The third control on a 3-channel plane is the throttle. If you can use your other arm, it should be possible to operate a modified throttle stick with that arm. Moving up in complexity, it should be possible to engineer a throttle controlled by a sip-and-puff system. That's way beyond my knowledge, but I am sure it could be done.

It will be interesting to see what you learn from the fellow in New Zealand.

- Jeff
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 AM
trashslammer

New question??

I just built an exceed rc FA-18, and used my own Futaba receiver(1024 pcm). The antenna is out the back of the plane by 15". What are my options?
Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay ... you are disabled, you cannot handle things on your own. So why not try this. No need any special controller, keep it simple. Get a simple 3 channel plane. You fly on 2 channels and a friend assists you on the throttle for a simple plane perhaps? Its no more work than training a newbie. Both just sit down and relax and have a nice cool lemonade as you fly. Friend sits on your LEFT, you only need a Mode 2 TX.

I got friends who fly easy planes on one stick only when they are in the lazy mood. I do it a lot on my Lazy Bee. Hence, nothing special needed.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM
PAUL14750

THANKS FOR THE IDEA OF PARTNERING UP AND FLING ONE. NOT A BAD IDEA BUT PART OF THE FUN IS FLYING IT ON MY OWN. PAUL
Old 04-20-2009, 12:33 PM
PAUL14750

THANKS ALOT. I'LL HAVE TO LOOK INTO THAT. KEEP LOOKING AT THE STARS. PAUL
Old 04-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Paul, I know the desire to fly on your own. Everybody does. But, you need to learn first. That means taking lessons with an instructor, usually with a buddy box setup. The instructor will be able to take over and save the plane when you get confused or disoriented (100% guaranteed that you will).

Here's an idea: Get yourself a copy of Great Planes Real Flight or another simulator. You can use it to hone your flying skills without risking expensive planes, and perhaps even develop a control system that suits your needs by modifying the RealFlight transmitter.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:00 AM
tewitt1949

How about a 2 channel glder?