Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need help choosing a lipo for my Yak 55 25e.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

I need help choosing a lipo for my Yak 55 25e.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I_<3_W@rB1RdS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help choosing a lipo for my Yak 55 25e.

Hello all,
I need help choosing a lipo for my Yak 55 25e. I have been flying RC planes for about 2 yrs now and I am a new member here at RC UNIVERSE. I started out buying RTF foamies and quickly got tired of the poor quality and inability to handle the wind. I have now decided to only buy balsa ARF planes and would also like to get into building kits from scratch.
Problem:
I purchased Hyperion's Yak-55, 47" W.S. 25e w/ power set. It is a beautiful plane that flies like a dream but, I want to get just a little more vertical performance and flying time out of it.
I have been buying the cheaper lipos on ebay for my planes and the flying time has been a little short.
*Do the more expensive name brand lipos last longer and have a flatter power curve?
*Also, can anyone tell me what size and brand lipo i should buy for the best performance and flight time?
I am currently using a 3s1p 2450mAh 30c lipo w/ Titan 50A BEC and only getting 7min of flying time. (I paid $30.00 for it on ebay ships from china) Should I upgrade to a 4s lipo? or stay with the 3s and increase the mAh's?

Thanks for your help,

I_<3_W@rB1RdS

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak."
Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: I need help choosing a lipo for my Yak 55 25e.

More mAh will give you more flying time, but on the flip side, that makes the battery bigger. A bigger battery might not fit and the extra weight will affect the flying characteristics of the plane. It is possible that the extra battery weight will require extra power to maintain flight,

Going to 4S on the other hand will give you more power and a shorter flight time. Of course you need to make sure the motor and ESC are designed to take the 4S voltage, and it may be necessary to reduce the size of the propeller in order to prevent overamping the motor.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 PM
I_<3_W@rB1RdS

Thanks for your help Matt!
The problem is, I don't know anything about brushless motors, BEC's, Amperage, prop size, Battery size/output, etc., to determin a setup that will work.
Can someone help me figure it out if I post the specs of my Motor, BEC, Prop., and possibly the weight of the plane?

If so, tell me what info I need to furnish.

Thanks all,

Daniel

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak."
Old 05-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Witterings

That motor should give it reasonable power and hover it / fly vertically, is it the 3019 / 10 or 3019 / 12 and what prop are you using.

Just as a general rule of thumb more power = less flight time soone is going ot be a trade off against the other.

If you put heavier batteries in you'll loose part of what makes the plane nice to fly !!

Are you flying sport or 3D and what prop are you using as that can make a big difference, I use 2250's on my planes around this size with similar power motors and get between 12 abd 16 mins but I fly slow floaty 3D.