Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Large electric UAV

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Jeff Page
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large electric UAV

I need to lift a 30-40 lb VTOL UAV vertically with a 20-26 inch prop. Are there any available Batteries/motors that could handle my requirement, and give me 1 hour of cruise endurance at 65% of take off power? (vertical takeoff).

Thanks

Jeff C Page
Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Large electric UAV

Jeff ... you need to buy tons of batts to have the endurance. Because of endurance you will have a high All Up Weight and that will not help your VTOL for sure. To achieve the VTOL on a heavy plane you need more power, hence more batts ... so 60 mins ensurance is not very practical for a VTOL. Sorry to say ... many UAV manufacturers are claiming a lot of things about duration, I have my doubts. We have helis that will fly 6 hours event. Small disc style planes that fit your palm that can fly for 30 mins ... the list goes on ... no one really proven their duration claims at the moment.

If you were to calculate the amp draw etc etc you will see to fly 60 mins takes a lot to make it happen. Give you an example. Just say its a 7 lbs plane ... with a high aspect ratio wing. I can cruise her at about 15A max on a 3S (11.1V) set up. To fly for an hour I need to run no less than 3 pieces of 5,000 mAh packs in parallel. That will weigh in at no less than 3.5 lbs for the batts alone.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Jeff Page
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Large electric UAV

Thanks for the reply. We are calculating around 15-20 lbs. for batteries.

Jeff page