Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

LiPo plane set up

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Mike145

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo plane set up

I have a Airfoilz Edge 540 and i want to get a new battery set up My esc is 25 amps and the motor is a Turnigy 2217 16turn 1050kv 23A Outrunner and i was wondering if a FlightPower EONLITE LiPo 3S 11.1V 2100mAh 20C wiil work with that setup. And is there any way to caculate how long the battery would last during flight. Any information would be helpful.
Thanks Mike
Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: LiPo plane set up

Mike ... use a watt meter ... then see how many amps you are pulling on WOT. That is the shortest duration. I find for your type of plane with easy flying and the right prop combination you may get between 8-10 mins on the 2,100 pack.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:45 AM
jdetray

Formula for Run Time

run time in minutes = (Battery Capacity in Ah/Motor Current in A) x 60

This requires that you know how much current your power system draws. A wattmeter will tell you. Use the wattmeter to measure the current at wide open throttle (WOT). Then make an educated guess as to what your average current will be.

For instance, if you measure 25A at WOT, you might assume an average current of say, 22A, since you probably won't be flying at full throttle all the time.

Once you know the current, you can apply the formula to get a rough idea of flight time. Here are some examples.

Example 1:
1500 mAh battery
power system draws 12A

1500 mAh = 1.5 Ah

1.5/12 x 60 = 7.5 minutes

Example 2:
2100 mAh battery
power system draws 22A

2100 mAh = 2.1 Ah

2.1/22 x 60 = 5.7 minutes

Example 3:
2100 mAh battery
power system draws 18A

2100 mAh = 2.1 Ah

2.1/18 x 60 = 7 minutes

- Jeff

Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 AM
CWHFSR

What setting should your wat meter be on to get the reading?  (From someone who owns one but really doesn't know how to work it except to see if that plug in the house has power!)  Thanks!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:09 AM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: CWHFSR
What setting should your wat meter be on to get the reading? (From someone who owns one but really doesn't know how to work it except to see if that plug in the house has power!) Thanks!
It sounds like you are talking about a digital multimeter. While that can be used to measure the current of an R/C power system, it's not particularly easy to do.

In my post, I was referring to a wattmeter, an instrumentmade especially for measuring the current and other parameters of an R/C power system. A wattmeter is a simple-to-use device that you insert between your battery and ESC.A typical wattmeterdisplays current, voltage, and power simultaneously, which is very handy. A picture of a typical R/C wattmeter is shown below. Prices for wattmeters start at about $40.

- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61960.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1210107  
Old 06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
CWHFSR

Ah, thanks for letting me know!  That does look a bit easier
Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

If you are going to stick with the hobby, and plan to fly electrics, a Wattmeter is an excellent investment. It will keep you from frying your equipment. Even if you want to try some different prop sizes on a known good setup, you can change the current draw dramatically. If the current is too high, you can fry your electronics. If it's too low, you won't have enough power to fly the plane well.