Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

4 motor electric wiring

Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 PM
eal7575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 motor electric wiring

Hello: I am wiring a 4 engine Super Constellation. Using AXI 5330`s, with 110 amp ESC`s, and 4, 37volt, 10 cell packs. Which would be best? Wire , Battery, ESC, to each individual motor, or wire total batterys in parallel, then wire the 4 ESC`s to that source.
Thanks, Buck
[email protected]
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM
bobferguson

Default RE: 4 motor electric wiring

I would think you would want to parallel the packs so the four motor always see the same voltage. But I am no expert.

ORIGINAL: eal7575

Hello: I am wiring a 4 engine Super Constellation. Using AXI 5330`s, with 110 amp ESC`s, and 4, 37volt, 10 cell packs. Which would be best? Wire , Battery, ESC, to each individual motor, or wire total batterys in parallel, then wire the 4 ESC`s to that source.
Thanks, Buck
[email protected]
Old 06-30-2009, 10:14 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get a more power consistent performance from the motors its ideal to use them in parallel. However, from what you tell me by using 4 pieces of 5330s it is a huge plane, of which will mean you need a lot of wiring for the battery to the ESC in the event that you use them in parallel. There is a lot of talk about long battery supply wires, best not over 12" because it will kill the ESC. Try the guys in RC Groups, the EP giant scale thread. You got some guys there who are really nuts about EP.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:09 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Extend motor wires, do not extend battery wires, will cost you your controllers. If you cannot but extend the battery wires, you have to install extra ESC input capacitors. ESC manufacturer statements, workarounds, rules of thumb, manuals:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=kill

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 AM
DaveFlynn

I think your ESC's are too big, those are 50 amp motors. I would use Castle HV-45's and let the current sensing limit to 40 amps with those. What props? Do the batteries fit in the nacelles? Using a 16x10 3-blade on the Kv=250 version of that motor is 14-18 amps in the air and about 40-50 on the ground. Opto-isolators and independent small BEC's will eliminate the need for any connection between the motor batteries and reduce radio interference. If you decide to go with a single large battery in the fuse' you will need 10AWG or bigger wire (the wire must be sized for the peak instantaneous current) to prevent a harmonic from building up and damaging the ESC's.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:59 PM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

About de-rating controllers and motors, starting at 'for everyone else':
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post11476940

Don't keep current within bounds using throttle endpoint adjustment. ESC will still see the full current, albeit pulsed. And since electronics are fast, the pulses can still kill.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old 07-01-2009, 05:06 PM
DaveFlynn

I admit this is not good advise for a beginner and should not be attempted without meters or an o-scope. If you see high current pulses then your switching frequency is too low (hard to do with a big out-runner). A single pulse should not result in any significant current. MOSFETs can switch much more current than their continuos rating, which is based on power dissipation.

To make controlling power with the throttle work the ESC must be set to have fixed end points. I've been running that motor at 1000 watts on 12S1P 2100mAh by controlling the throttle setting to limit the current to 22 amps, it works great, nothing gets hot. As the prop unloads and throttle pulse width gets longer to keep the current at 22 amps, the rpm increases from 6800 to 9100.