Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

LiPo with GWS ICS-300

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Rathert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo with GWS ICS-300

I am pretty new to rc flying but not new to RC. I have a Blade CX2 and was wondering if I could use the 2c 800mAh LiPo batteries that go with the heli on my GWS slowstick. The battery seems the perfect size/weight for the plane. I am using the GWS ICS-300 speed control. It does not say anything on the site about being able to use LiPo.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 AM
soarhead-RCU

Default RE: LiPo with GWS ICS-300

You can use it with a lipo, but unless it is a ICS-300LI model you will have to time your flights. The regular ICS300 has the LVC setup to cut off for Nickel type batteries. If you hit LVC with your lipo with this ESC the voltage is too low and could ruin your pack. Also a lot of chargers wont "SEE" a pack that is discharged below 3v per cell so you have that to deal with also.
My suggestion would be to get the 300LI and be on the save side(cost is only about $15 I think), but then it is never a good idea to drag a Lipo down to that level IMHO. I try to shut down at 3.5v resting volts..........

Good Luck
Bob
Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Rathert

I try to stay on the safe side myself. I have an E-Revo brushless edition that I run 2x 2s LiPos in. So im not new to the technology i just wanted to be sure the ESC can do it. I will do some run timing and see how it all works out.

Thank you for your help.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:25 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

You CAN time it, but as cheap as the GWS ESCs are, I'd just get the LiPo compatible ESC.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Rathert

If I am going to get a new ESC I would probably just go brushless. This is going into a Slow Stick. It would be nice to have a little more power for those not so calm days.