Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Slow Stick Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Rathert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick Troubles

I got my GWS Slow Stick today and put it all together. It came with the EPS400C power system. I have an ICS-300 speed control and a 9.6V 730mAh battery. The trouble I am having is that it doesn't seem to have enough power to lift off the ground. I go full open throttle and it starts moving away it takes about 40 yards before it starts to lift off. Once it goes up it just doesn't have enough power to fly and comes back down.

I do not know where to go from here. My local hobby store is pretty clueless and offer very little help. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

On a side note I have this motor sitting around. Would this be too much for this plane? - http://www.raidentech.com/bmoubrmowfim.html
Old 07-09-2009, 05:04 PM
DaveFlynn

Default RE: Slow Stick Troubles

That motor with a 2 cell LiPo would work just fine in a slow-stick. It's big, but I've seen slow-sticks with ailerons and big motors that fly great.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Rathert

I tried it with a 2s 800MaH (7.4v) from my E-Flite Blade CX2 and that seemed to have even less power than the NIMH battery I tried.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

The Stick should fly with the stock motor-are you sure COG is correct?Prop not on backwards?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:40 PM
DaveFlynn

Have you tried a different ESC, that one may have a problem getting power to the motor?
Old 07-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 400 motor will fly the SS nicely. The motor in your link is not ideal for the SS, but, from reports of other users, will fly the SS. Use the recommended prop.

The 300 ESC will do 8 Amps continuous, or so, and is more than enough to fly the plane.

If you're using a GWS battery, that's likely where your problem lies, especially if it's made from a pack of AAA cells. Get yourself a bigger battery (1200 mAh or so). The smaller the battery, the less it likes to cough up the juice that you need to fly the plane.