Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

wattage f-86

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 08:56 PM
logan6700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wattage f-86

I just got my f-86 i have every thing installed except for my servos i used the skids and added wheels on them it works on the the ground for taxi. Now here are my questions
(1) can i use a 12 oz 8 cell 1900mah nimh pack for my setup if not whats the recommended weight for the battery pack?

(2)is the 010 brushless motor better that the 380 Ore they close in performance?

(3)I know how to mod the cheater hole but how do I mod the exit duct and the inlet duct or are they fine and no mods are needed?

(4)Will my landing gear slow down the plane,my wheels are very light and are about 1 1/2 inch in height and 1/2 inch in depth

(5) will my 8 cell 3 oz 720nimh sano pack work?

(6)can a stock version do a loop with a small dive?

(7) how well dose this plane crash? tell me what i can expect?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
next day
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to fly the pig in the morning hopefully things go well and i don't crash and burn. I just added landing gear to the pig, I took her out on the road and tested her speed she will not take off from the ground i tried different batteries but no change in her over all road speed. If my flight is successful i will upgrade her motor to a brushless and spend more money on the pig
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
morning after
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here goes what happened. My flying area is on a hill on one side a parking lot on the other side power lines. I got up the muddy hill and I got to my spot where I thought if I was to do a nose dive it would be into the bushed areas. I checked my controlling surfaces, elevons every thing look nice my ailerons and elevons were moving wow I wonder what direction it will fly lets see.

Toss 1 it was a strong toss straight there was no wind the f-86 dipped about 1 feet then it picked up speed then i noticed it turning to the left side so i adjusted my controls and the pig did a sharper left turn and went inverted and smash into the grass the nose inlet was dented and had dirt in it. i took my fingers and pushed from the inside out and fixed that dent for the moment. I checked my controls and switched my ailerons so it would to in the correct direction

Toss 2 smash. bad toss

Toss 3 smash. that the f*%k OK bad toss

Toss 4 went straight and fast, oh yea my buddy tossed it this time. The pig was about 60 feet from some power lines so I was going to turn her but he started to become very unstable so I killed the motor and she glided perfectly into the grass. I got higher on the hill this time

Toss 5 smash my buddy messed up soft toss=smash]

toss 6 hard and straight the wind picked up a lot. she was fast on a slight decline flight path, i tried to turn her into the wind but the plane was too light to turn into he wind and the wind garbed her and added an extra 20 mph on her in the opposite direction and before i knew it she was hard to see i tried to trim with the wind this time but she was too low and when out of view then i pulled up on the controls all the way all i saw way am inverted f-86 heading into a the ground in a dive smashhhhh. the front section was gone about 4 inches of foam got compressed into 1 inch

now i am very depressed and don't wanna fly so far i smashed 1 e-gull 1 t-hawk 1 wattage hawk and now 1 wattage 8-86. i got into my room and got a 2 liter soda bottle and cut it out to fit the body then i cut an inlet whole and got a pringle can to make the Inlet duct. now she looks like an f-86 again i got on the hill again
this time i got rid of that crappy control system i got ailerons and elevator controls now

Toss 7 boom. Just kidding, too much up elevator trim so I had to nose her down but I was not too skilled to keep her air speed up with that much trim I fumbled the ball and she went nose first into the dirt/grass, damage report none

toss 8 I tossed her in the same direction as toss 4 so here is the big moment the turn that I have to do. Dam it I turned but she was on a big curve so I turned more and before I knew it she was nosing into the ground I closed my eyes and started to pull at the controls in every direction except down then a big smashhhhhh. good Ecco damage report nose was undamaged but eh wing was broken away from the body and I am out of epoxy and Elmer's glue ant cutting it.

i got a brushless motor on the way same as a mega 15/16/3 but different brand "averex"

Oh and I also smashed my wattage hawk today, I touched the power lines, too dam fast I cut down a slow flier prop and put it on the hawk she was moving lil too fast I loss control about 3 times, saw inverted dives loops and rolls I did not do. So far she has had 3 big crashes and about 15 minor ones she is still holding up with a lot of epoxy and Elmer's but i keep going through props.
she must have been going 60 when she smashed today and all i got is a broken prop bent shaft on my 380 and my dam rubber bands broke

sorry for my spelling , my setup on the wattage f-86 all times was 720mah syano nimh 3 oz 8 cell pack my esc cost me 40 bux so i know it was a good one rating 30 amps every thing Else was stock i knew she required 10 cells i just wanted to see what my 8 cell pack could do, oh yea thats all i got
Old 06-30-2003, 09:10 PM
Smokin Cap
My Feedback: (49)

Default .

Yep...your a marine alright!!!! Just kidding. LOL Where are you flying? Anywhere near San Diego?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:56 AM
logan6700

Default wattage f-86

there is a rc park on base but i usually fly just out side on the hill 22 area.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	91026_22100.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	52336  
Old 07-03-2003, 01:02 AM
logan6700

Default wattage f-86

I cut her open i thinK i am going to install my brushless motor but there are some problems

Name:	91027_22100.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	52337  
Old 07-03-2003, 01:03 AM
kingcobraRCU

Default um...

no offense but have you ever had a flying lesson? or are you trying to learn the hard/expensive/discerning way?
Old 07-03-2003, 01:11 AM
logan6700

Default wattage f-86

should i use the astro 010 or the averox equivalent of a mega 16/5/3

Name:	91032_22100.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	52338  
Old 07-03-2003, 03:52 AM
Smokin Cap

Default .

Dude....are you at Camp Pendleton? I live in Oceanside and am a member of the club there on base. Have you ever flown before? I know the F-86 is just foam but it is in no way a trainer. You should already have some flight experience before flying this bird. I have the Mig-15 and the toss is the hardest thing about getting it in the air(requires a steady and fast/heavy toss). This plane fly's fast and could snap on you if your too slow, CG is off and using too much elevator. Since the F-86 is a ducted fan it requires some time to get up to speed. I have been flying since I was 6...so if you want some training let me know. Have some nice parks near my house.

Ken
Old 07-03-2003, 03:37 PM
logan6700

Default wattage f-86

I own a 40 size cub which i have flown on the 53 area pad many times. I have an rc Sim on my computer real flight g2 i have flown the t-hawk wattage hawk and my f-86. I know why i crashed last time the f-86 was under-powered last night i stayed up working on her i don't have any balsa wood or good materials to work with but ill get her up and flying in about 24 hours from now. every things in place the brushless motor was installed I came up with a new way to install the third elevator servo this time i have a 10 cell pack of 500ar. i repaired the wing with Elmer's glue ill try not to go too fast i know my plane is built and repaired with crap parts and material but thats what i have at hand. all i have to do now is secure
(1)
the wires going to my brushless motor and its esc with some tape so they don't short out.
(2)
seal the fuse glue elevator and connect push rod
Old 07-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Smokin Cap

Default .

Let us know how the brushless works out....
Old 07-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Derek_TX
My Feedback: (1)

Default wattage f-86

Sounds like a wild ride and you are having fun

Recommend you take the offer from the other guy nearby... that way you can both have fun!
Old 07-06-2003, 08:45 AM
logan6700

Default wattage f-86

rlight report

Name:	91769_22100.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	52339  
Old 07-06-2003, 08:46 AM
logan6700

Default wattage f-86

flight erport

Name:	91770_22100.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	52340  
Old 07-06-2003, 08:47 AM
logan6700

Default wattage f-86

flight report

Name:	91771_22100.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	52341  
Old 07-06-2003, 09:07 AM
logan6700

Default wattage f-86

flight report

It was windy and i have not flown in 6 months my planes just did not want to fly. my wattage hawk did but lost power 2 times high up and my f-86 esc keeps cutting out at 90% throttle so its back to the lab
with my first toss of the f-86 i had the power at 65% because i did not want to stall the blades. i gave her a hard toss from about 20 feet up on a hill side it was perfect because the weeds were 3 feet tall so any crashing would be easy on my planes. As the f-86 left my hands i started to move the throttle at 85% it shut down and she lost alt only to crash with little to no damage.
I took a good look at her removed the battery and recharged it with a different charger. toss 2 i removed that plastic piece from the intake when i tossed her i remembered to keep the power at 85% this was just not enough
third toss same problems but at least i didn't totally destroy my planes.

Name:	91772_22100.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	52342  
Old 09-24-2003, 12:35 AM
logan6700

Default RE: wattage f-86

update i took that hunk of junk and throw t away in the trash. it wont even fly with a brushless motor how sad.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:55 AM
frenchy760

My F-86 is set up with the Astroflight 020 brushless motor with the ESC that came with it from Hobby People. I made all the mods that you see on the forums to include reworking the cheater hole. added a blue foam cone to the back of the motor, used card stock to fill gap between the foam and nose fairing, installed aluminum tubes for wing spars, added spruce spars to the horizontal and vertical stabs, and also reshaped the leading edges on the horizontal/vertical to give them a better airfoil shape. I have three servos installed, one on each side of the fuselage above the wing and one in the rear of the cockpit area. This way I have seperate elevator and aileron control, and the control horns are on top of the surfaces rather than on the bottom. No worries about tearing out the servos on landing. With a single servo for each aileron I can mix in flaperon with my radio. I am using the 10 cell nmh pack. The all up weight is 21 oz and this bird flies great.
It has plenty of thrust and I usually fly with the throttle around the half to three quarter points. I have only got four flights on it since I had to put it away so I could accompany the Marine corp to Iraq, but i am definitely looking forward to flying it again when we get back.
I hope this may help someone who is considering getting one. In my opinion they are definitely a good airplane. Just needs a little modification.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:08 PM
jameschen0702

So far I havent heard the F-86 fly yet..last time I saw one down here at El Toro MCAS, they threw it..it was loud and it didnt even pick up the air..it just went down down down....looks like a hard plane to fly..I wanted to get one but..now..hmm..maybe not