Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Watt Meter - Which one to buy ?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Watt Meter - Which one to buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:27 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Watt Meter - Which one to buy ?

As I get into larger electrics I am learning that a Watt Meter is a good (perhaps necessary) tool. Do you guys usually buy one locally (like at Radio Shack) and modify the connectors as needed ? or are there some purpose-built for our hobby ? Thanks. Bob
Old 10-28-2009, 03:14 PM
OEMFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Watt Meter - Which one to buy ?

There are many purpose built watt meters for rc use. Horizon and Tower hobbies sells them as well as many other on line stores. The Watts-up meter is one that is very popular. Tower hobbies sells them for about 54$
Old 10-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Sir Raleigh

You can get the Watt Meter & Power Analyzer /Watts up from Hobby King for about $40: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=6380

Or, you can build this one for about $3.00: Mini-HowTo - $3 Wattmeter http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949923

Bill
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 PM
sco215

get the watts up meter for sure you wont be dissapointed about $53 bucks off ebay
Old 11-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Prairie Mike

Another choice is the Medusa Watt Meter. $37.77 from Medudsa Research Inc.

Not only will it tell you the watts, MaH & all the stuff att the other watt meters do, it will also tell you the Mah you are putting back into your battery during charging.
Its called the power analizer II. Here's the link:
http://www.medusaproducts.com/Power-...rs/PA-Main.htm

Link to the Manual: http://www.medusaproducts.com/pdf/821A00013.pdf

I am not affiliiated with them, but was turned on to this product by a club member.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the information. One last (stupid) question. Is this (the Watts Up) something that stays in the plane temporarily during a flight so that the readings can be obtained ? Do the people that have the big/large/hi-amp planes generally keep one in the airplane at all times so that they can check the data/info from it after a flight ? Thanks again. Bob
Old 11-02-2009, 04:46 PM
sco215

well you really would not need to flyit for its not going to give you anymore info then if you did it on the ground. but i could be wrong but i know of no one who flys them.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 PM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: BalsaBob
One last (stupid) question. Is this (the Watts Up) something that stays in the plane temporarily during a flight so that the readings can be obtained ? Do the people that have the big/large/hi-amp planes generally keep one in the airplane at all times so that they can check the data/info from it after a flight ? Thanks again. Bob
There is no such thing as a stupid question, Bob!

I don't know of anyone who keeps a Watt's Up type meter in the plane. Normally, it is used only for testing on the ground when setting up your plane (choosing a prop, choosing a battery, etc.). The inexpensive wattmeters such as the Watt's Up do not store their readings, so there would be no point in carrying the meter during a flight, anyway.

There are systems that are designed to be flown, however. One maker of such products is [link=http://www.eagletreesystems.com/]Eagle Tree Systems[/link].

For starters, get a good basic wattmeter like a Watt's Up, Medusa, or AstroFlight. Any of them will help you avoid frying expensive motors, ESCs, and batteries.

- Jeff
Old 11-04-2009, 12:40 AM
jaidee

Read this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1136357

the Wilog Bluetooth data logger from www.raczing.com is what you need.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:02 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jdetray

I don't know of anyone who keeps a Watt's Up type meter in the plane. Normally, it is used only for testing on the ground when setting up your plane (choosing a prop, choosing a battery, etc.). The inexpensive wattmeters such as the Watt's Up do not store their readings, so there would be no point in carrying the meter during a flight, anyway.

There are systems that are designed to be flown, however. One maker of such products is [link=http://www.eagletreesystems.com/]Eagle Tree Systems[/link].

For starters, get a good basic wattmeter like a Watt's Up, Medusa, or AstroFlight. Any of them will help you avoid frying expensive motors, ESCs, and batteries.

- Jeff
Actually, the WattsUp meter does hold the max current, min voltage, max power, etc. You can put it in a plane or heli, fly it, and get those readings when you land. What it won't do is data log like the Eagle Tree Systems unit.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 AM
jdetray

Hi Paul -

If I had known that, I might have purchased a Watt's Up meter! I'm surprised they don't make that a major marketing point when advertising the meter. Or maybe they do, and I overlooked it.

Anyway, it's an important feature and makes the Watt's Up even more attractive.

- Jeff
Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Has anyone used the Bantam Two-Meter? I'm also on the market for a good Watt meter - going to be running 37v, 70A, 2500W.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 AM
szewang2805
Banned

another choice is GT Hobbies which is selling by swanghobby
http://www.swanghobby.com/gt-power-h...1-pr-1847.html

seems that it is a very popular tool for RC players.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 PM
heavy metal thunder

I purchased a watt meter through Hobby King for about $24. Add a couple of bucks for shipping with my regular order. Works well and is as accurate as other name brand meters. I've mounted it in the plane for in flight testing, but so far have not seen much of a difference from on the ground to in flight readings. You might want to check it out.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:45 PM
loosemud

I just went to Medusa, said "Thanks for the memories". They`ve had enough.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:30 PM
paulhlee

I too am looking for a new watt meter. My old one finally burned up... I need one that can handle more than 100 amps.... my current setup is in the 120Amp range, and who knows what the future holds. Would like to find one that will do 200 amps.... Medusa had one, but alas they are no longer in the business.... sooooooo any ideas?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 AM
fmw

Another happy Watts-up user here.  In my experience, if I get proper readings in a static test, there isn't any need to test while flying.   I have yet to experience an ESC or motor that is more than mildly war after a flight.  I admit that I tend to over power and under prop most of my models and I understand that I pay a penalty in weight and wing loading.  But for my kind of casual flying, I feel better about having power systems designed for reliability.  The Watts-up meter does everything I need in this area.  Excellent product.