Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buyer beware Hobby Lobby and customer service

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Buyer beware Hobby Lobby and customer service

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:02 PM
blinden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer beware Hobby Lobby and customer service

I generally wouldn't do a post like this and prefer to just point out vendors who do a great job (see my post on Horizon/Parkzone) but have to say Hobby Lobby blew it with me and won't get any more of my business and I caution you to beware.

I rec'd a F-86 Skyblazer as a gift and had an issue the day of the maiden that was a result of a defect in my unit. When I assembled it all seemed fine until I powered up and tested. The engine made a grinding type noise (the fan to be exact) and barely moved. I took the wings off and looked at the fan to make sure it was seated properly and it was and nothing was blocking etc. I tested the fan w/o the wings on and it worked fine. I reassembled and still I got the grinding so I loosened the bolts holding the wing and once loosened as far as I dare go the motor worked. BTW, the motor also worked on bench test so I knew it was the fan assembly.

The first flight went fine and I didn't experience any issues but on the 2nd flight the motor seized in flight making the same noise which resulted in the plane crashing badly destroying the fan assembly and breaking much of the airframe. This was caused by the fan and not pilot error and it seems that not enough clearance is in the model/fan because as I said I had to have the wings screws pretty darn loose just to get it to spin and I was already worried about them ripping off because there was a little play with the screws loose.

I own 20+ models and have other jets. This is my first hobby lobby plane and 1st time I've had an issue such as this.

I talked to a rep on the phone who said I should return it and transferred me to returns and I got voice mail. After not hearing back for more than a day I went online and submitted the return request. A little over a day later I rec'd an email stating that my request was denied by Rachel Patterson in sales because I supposedly knew there was an issue.

The bottom line for me is that the motor worked on bench, had something wrong in design or with my unit that caused the wings to press to tight on the fan unit. I loosened and it worked so I flew. I had let it run up for a bit before launching so who would have done different. I did the same as anyone else would have done and if you polled 20 people at a field I'll bet all or most would have flown in since the problem appeared gone.

With modeling things happen sometimes and after an adjustment they are fine. All I can say is dealing with Hobby-Lobby was no where near the pleasant experiences I've had with Horizon and I own many of their models. I also have rec'd great service on World Models products and will keep my future business with them. You lose Hobby-Lobby...
Old 02-17-2010, 04:16 PM
goirish

Default RE: Buyer beware Hobby Lobby and customer service

Hummmmmmmmm!!!!!! sounds a little like Hobbypeople. I guess we need to get names of people we talk to that say they are going to do someting. Just my 2c worth.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:35 PM
ceejay007

I have a dislike for most of the ARF stuff from China, it just ain't done right. The AT-6 Texan is a perfect example, but it appears Rachel made a decision based on your own admission (unfortunately) of flying a defective product to its demise. First time I've heard of loosening wing attachments before flight []
The 'not in my control' feeling is terrible, but actually it is....... you determine flight worthiness. I was skeptical the Texan had a weak center section, and sure enough it folded a wing on final from it's 3rd flight. Lesson learned, now I build from kit or plans.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM
blinden

Just curious, if somethings pinching you wouldn't try and alleviate the problem? Hindsight I should have called I guess but the wings were still stable and the problem seemed gone. It's easy to say to call but from the standpoint the motor ran sustained on bench and in first flight that there was no longer a problem? People run into problems at the field all the time and usually if something happens you see people try and figure it out and fix if possible, that's what I was doing and what I thought I did. I wouldn't take something up I thought would have a problem that would just be silly
Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
jzrf6c

On the other hand, if something does not work right out of the box, I'd send it back. Once you've played with it the supplier can not send it back the remainds to the manufacture for credit. So, the lesson learned is, it should work right out of the box. If you find a problem then call the supplier. But, once used you lose !
Old 02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My few dealing with Hobby Lobby have always been good, both purchasing and service.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:15 PM
blinden

I gotcha guys and yes I'll call first in the future but I still think that we all have little glitches here and there that we fix at the field. The wings were not loose and the loosening of the screws was for field repair. You can bet I'll call over anything in the future and I appreciate the comments. I wish it were more clear that you shouldn't try and fix anything yourself but HL could have at the very least offered a new fan housing. I bought a product, followed instructions and it didn't work properly but I only knew that after a flight where I thought my fix worked . I hope that maybe this post helps someone else should they experience a problem. Call first .
Old 02-18-2010, 03:12 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: blinden

I hope that maybe this post helps someone else should they experience a problem. Call first .
Not sure that works either. Look at my post about Hobbypeople, I did call first
Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Another option to simply sending it back would have been to use a Dremel tool with a sanding drum to nibble away a little foam at a time until the fan worked properly with the wing fully tightened.

I think of these Chinese models as "builder's ARFs." They're not perfect, but then again you don't pay perfect price for them.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 PM
blinden

I just want to make it known that Hobby Lobby did end up getting me squared away and likely my bad experience was due to the rep I originally got ahold of and not the company. Jason Cole took great care of me and I can say because of how he treated me I'll give HL another go . Thank you Jason.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Jerry Ledford
My Feedback: (15)

I always ask for Jason at Hobby- Lobby. He knows the products and he is fair. He is the go to guy.

Jerry