Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Other Retailers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:58 PM
orangehat44
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other Retailers

So Im just kinda looking for what else is out there. Ive gotten most of my stuff from LHS or tower or Horizon. Ive heard horror stories from banana hobby, and just other stories of lack of quality from the other cheaper sites. I understand alot of these are shipped in chinese models and expect a wide range of quality, due to poor QC. Ive been told by lots in this hobby you get what you pay for. And lived by that from the beginning.

At heart Im a glow flier with ambitions for bigger gas planes. But the park is 5 min away and the flying field is 45 min + so ive picked myself up a PZ su26 micro, and GP yak 55 flight flex. I would love to get more electric park flyers and have been poking around. Ive looked at Hobby King and theres lots of cool things there for pretty cheap. I have a kit started and have other kits in mind but like little projects to work on as well.

The way I see it there are some interesting models on HK and other sites, and they're cheap. I guess you kinda play russian roulette with the quality of the product when it gets to you but thats the price you pay for getting it for 1/3-1/2 of the price or so for comprable american models. Alot of them look easily modable (such as rudder mods as alot fo the edfs ive seen are just aileron elevator combos). If you get lucky and get a good one you pay less, if you get a poorer condition model, and decide to swap some electrics or something you might end up paying close to the same price as something from Horizon. But once you spend that extra money and time you get the same quality so no real loss there. Theres things Id like to try but dont wanna pay a premium to see if I like them (like the edfs or maybe making a float plane for cheap when I go to my friends camp thats on a clam lake).

Any tips of where to look or if my philosophy makes any sense?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:39 AM
orangehat44
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Other Retailers

Is hobby lobby's stuff okay? Ive been reading too much stuff about banana makes one start to doubt.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:09 PM
echolmberg

Default RE: Other Retailers

Hi Orange!

I've purchased three models and various components from Hobby Lobby and all have been wonderful in terms of quality and flight characteristics. Their customer service has been, at least in my experience, stellar. Even their item descriptions are very straightforward and up-front. By that I mean if some planes are trickier to fly, they'll come right out and tell you. I don't think they sugar coat their item descriptions just to make you buy something and that impressed me when I purchased my first park flyer from them. Count me in as a loyal customer.

These have been my experiences anyway. I hope this helps!

Eric