Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

matching components

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Rockfish88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default matching components

Hello all,

I am in the process of attempting to salvage parts from a number of different old friends to put into a new one. The new plane comes equipped with a Tower Pro 21 Outrunner motor. The specs say I need:
    [*]Micro receiver
    [*](2) Mini servos -BMS 380MG recommended
    [*]2-3 cell 1200-1500 LiPoly
    [*]18 amp Brushless ESC[/list]What I have in my collection of parts is as follows:
      [*]PKZ1814 18A Brushless ESC 3s 11.1 LiPo[*]2 Parkzone DSV130M servos[*]Spektrum AR6110e receiver[*]Spektrum AR500 receiver[/list]And as far as batteries are concerned, I have a couple of 2S 1300 mah batteries and 3S 2200 mah. I am planning to use the 2S batteries to start but curious if there's any reason the bigger 3S can't work.

Any other red flags here? Will the PKZ1814 work ok with the 7.4V battery?? Any reason the AR6110e won't be adequate as well? Any general guidance on how to select components that will be compatible is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: matching components

With a given motor & prop combination, I doubt you'd be able to use both 2S and 3S packs. If it flies well with 3S packs, it will probably be severely underpowered with a 2S pack. If it flies well with a 2S pack, you will probably fry the motor, ESC, and/or battery with the 3S pack. If you change props to optimize the current & power for the 2S and 3S packs, then you can probably do either.

As far as whether that ESC can work down to 2S, you'll have to ask Horizon/PZ. I don't know where you can find a manual for it, and I believe the label just says 3S.

The AR6110 is a short range park flyer receiver, so if you are putting it in a small park flyer that won't get flown out very far, your set. If it's a sail plane, or plane large enough to fly out very far, you should consider using the full range AR500.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: matching components

I use www.adamone.com for finding a prop that can run on 2 or 3 cells with the same engine & prop. It really simplifies the prop selection without buying needles props. the C O G balance point does not vary that much. I test install ALL parts in their locations with 2 cells. then check it with 3 cells. I put alingment marks on the batteries & the plane so it always balances fine..........Remember the 3 cell is the SHORT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE run setup & you will be fine. It is also my VERY windy day setup.
2 cells are for calm sitting in a chair flying.

Select your prop on a calculator. It will also give you the amount of W O T time as a guide.
Remember. The prop determines the motor. OR the motor determines the prop. batteries & ESCS follow the motor & prop in importance.