Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

ESC question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 PM
azrcfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC question!!!

I have a question about speed controls for an electric plane.

If i have a motor that only requiresa 40amp esc, and a whole set up only draws around 35amps. If i would to put a 60amp esc would there be any difference. Would using a higher amp esc than you need work fine, or not? Im trying to figure out if i need a 40amp or a 60 amp esc for my yak 54 set up.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:32 PM
ceejay007

Default RE: ESC question!!!

40A vs 60A ESC should make little difference other than additional weight, but 60A will give a bigger margin of safety if you play on flying it on the edge.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:01 PM
jdetray

Default RE: ESC question!!!

It is always OK to use a larger ESC than you need. As Ceejay said it gives you a safety margin. It's never a good idea to run any component right at the limits of its specification.

The only penalty you pay for using a larger-than-needed ESC is that the larger ESC will usually be slightly heavier than a smaller one. So your plane will be carrying a little bit of extra weight. That's not usually a problem for most planes.

- Jeff