Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

F3P information/ Help

Old 03-29-2010, 03:46 PM
orangehat44
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F3P information/ Help

Hey guys, I am part of the Rochester Institute of Technology Aero Design Team. We build a plane every year from scratch for competition, we use to go to the SAE comp, but now this year we are attending the AIAA competition. Even though I Only have one more year at RIT, Im not technically a 'senior' , the veteran members of the team are all graduating this spring, and As i am going to be graduating next spring, I still have time in the club, and have volunteered as the "Event Coordinator". Some of you who are from our corner of the states may have heard of or attended our Fly-Ins which is a major fund raiser for our club. Those who haven't heard or been to our event, we have a large indoor track and field at RIT. We rent this space out for our fly-in and allow our patrons to fly, pilots have a fee, spectators are free.

As event coordinator I really want to expand our event, make it better. We found despite making people sign a waiver and have a AMA card to fly or be sponsored by an AMA member, as our field house inst a sanctioned flying field, we wont get any AMA back up in the event something goes wrong. My first concern is to see what it takes to get the field house recognized as an indoor flying field for our events.

I also would love to expand the venue possibly get some form of competition the most accessible would seem to be F3P. Does anyone here know where to find more information, I tried poking around the AMA website and couldnt find much on F3p in the competitions section, has anyone attended or helped organize one before. I think it would be a great thing for our club to put one on, as well as a great thing for the RC community in the western NY area. Its an Idea and dream of mine to pull off an event of that type or something similar, to really spruce up our fly event. People love to come and fly for the afternoon in a nice large indoor area especially in winter and early spring. But to bring it up to this level would really be something and Im sure many would enjoy it.

Any help or direction will really help me out, Im on a coop internship so this is my way to be an active member of the club as Im not physically at school. Im researching this stuff on my lunch breaks so that I might be able to start planning and reserving the space needed for something like this.

Thanks alot guys.