Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

GWS Rx problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default GWS Rx problem?

I bought and just built a GWS zero that I set up as a Rufe float plane, I also bought the GWS Flight pack to go with it

I noticed while I was setting it up that right next to the plane I had to have the Antenna out for the Rx to work, I thought it might just e the fact I was in the basement,
Today I went to range check it today and the Rx stops working at about 8-10' away with the antenna out???

Any tricks I need to know or are these GWS Rxs just junk?

any help is appreciated

plane build thread here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9625739/tm.htm
Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 AM
whitecrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GWS Rx problem?

That is pretty atypical performance. Look for a gross anomaly. Is the receiver antenna connected and/or fully deployed. Has it been physically shortened? Another thought is that it is detuned or you're running it on the wrong part of the frequency band. Some of them are tuned for use on a particular segment of the 72 mhz band and a set number of lower or higher channels. This was the case with some 72 mhz Futaba receivers I was looking at recently.

Also check your transmitter for full voltage. Its antenna should be screwed all the way in. GWS receivers appear to have gotten good reviews. They also sell out quickly at Hobby King. I think modern solid state devices are, for the most part, fairly reliable and would suspect a circuit failure last. I would at least look at the obvious things before giving up on the receiver. Good luck with the trouble shooting.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: GWS Rx problem?

Tim,
Thanks for the input. Battery power and Tx antenna where the first things I checked,

While I was pulling it out of the plane I was thinking that maybe the Rx antenna was not soldered in right,, I'll check to make sure it not cut either, The Antenna housing did seem a little kinked up in spots when I unwound it.

I know when ordering Futaba Rxs you need to specify High/low band, but with the Hitec Rxs (used with futaba Tx) it doesn't matter.
There is nothing on the Rx or packaging thet indicates High/low, just "F" for Futaba aka negative shift

Meanwhile I installed a FAST Rx I have, I probably should just use that one anyway, all seems to work fine with that set up.
I have a slow park flyer I'll test the GWS Rx in if I can get it to work