Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Advice for LiPo charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:37 PM
fastplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for LiPo charger

I am just getting into electric flying and will need a charger. I want a charger / balancer in one that will also discharge. I expect to use 3-4 cells 2200 - 3000 mAh initially.
There seems to be two different types of charging methods. Peak Detection and constant voltage, constant current.
is one method better than the other? If so why? Looks like also will need to change the connectors all to Deans Ultra plugs. Also looks like any charging system I select I will need to make several adapters. Not a big problem.
If a charger notes it will charge 4 three cells batteries at one time and max charge amps is 6 amps - does that mean 6 amps is divided to 4 cells? So that each battery is only getting 1.5 amps each? Making the charge time much longer.
Maybe better to get 3 single battery chargers / balancers.
Thanks,

Old 05-08-2010, 02:49 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Advice for LiPo charger

Peak detection is for MI type and cc/cv is for LI type.

Your second ? may require you to name the specific charger , but generally if a charger states 4 batteries then it has 4 outputs. The current may not have anything to do with the number of packs directly. They are related when it comes to max power, but are seperate things.

Here's an informative link. http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...arging-how-tos
Old 05-14-2010, 03:40 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Advice for LiPo charger

Everything you wanted to know about electric flight
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

Why do you want a discharger for lipos? Great way to destroy lipos.

There is no choice of charge method. Each battery type has its specific method and that is what you have to use.

www.fmadirect.com

If you will be usting packs under 4S 4000 mah, then the cell pro 4S will do you just fine.

If you plan to get into BIG stuff, then the 10S would be the better choice.

If you are reading specs on a charger you need to give us a link to that charger or we are only guessing what the specs mean.