Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Messerscmitt BF 109

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Messerscmitt BF 109

I am looking for a BF109E Messerschmitt, not so important what "livery" it has as long as it is warplane-ish.

It has to be RTF, constructed from some kind of foam material, electric (preferably brushless) and with a wingspan of 40-50 inches. I have used about two days of searching all of the both major and minor brands, so now i have to throw in the towel and ask here.

All replies are welcome.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 PM
fmw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Messerscmitt BF 109

I cringe when i read the term RTF. I would never recommend one since they normally are of poor quality. Why not look at something like the Parkzone BF-109 in PNP. It is complete except for battery and receiver. You can use your own radio. It is foam and a very nice looking plane. Here's shot of mine sitting in my back yard.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Lars from Norway

In fact, i have been looking very much on this model (it pops up everywhere and in every store i have browsed through), and seems like a well built model with good rewiews that i have read through here on the forum. I get some of the same feelings when i hear or read RTR/F, but that is from my experience with cars. I just like the thought of getting all the stuff i need in one pack as i am a bit newbie on planes. This model from Parkzone is the nicest model of all the "foams" i have been looking on in my browsing.

So here is the [link=http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Parkzone_Messerschmitt_Bf_109G_PNP_p/pkz4975.htm]PNP-model[/link], and here is the [link=http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Parkzone_Messerschmitt_Bf_109G_BNF_p/pkz4980.htm]BNF-model[/link], the latter one is a bit more expensive as it already have the receiver installed and all wired up. But then again, i have to buy the [link=http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Spektrum_DX6i_Transmitter_Only_MD2_p/spmr6600.htm]DX6i[/link] to make them work together.

I have the RX/TX and servos from my Kyosho Cessna 182, but i guess this maybe isnt't good enough for the purpose. I feel a bit unsecure with anything that isn't 2.4 ghz as with my cars.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:53 PM
fmw

Yes.   You don't want the junk electronics that are packaged with the RTF planes.  Go buy a decent transmitter and use it for all your planes.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Lars from Norway

I have browsed the stores here in Norway now, there are several who are selling these planes here, even one that includes the DX5 transmitter in their pack. That sounds ok to me!

So a complete pack here with plane and transmitter will cost about $ 450 (2800 NKR), i see the transmitter is half the price if included in the pack instead of bought separately. I think i will go for this, thank you for talking me out of RTF And the plane itself is exactly what i am looking for.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 PM
fmw

You're welcome.  Enjoy it.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Solman

Hyperion also has the FW190. I do know a few that have the Parkzne BF109 and it flies great. Take-offs and landings are a bit tricky and is very easy to hit the wing tips.

[img]webkit-fake-url://FABE983F-2D97-49C6-A096-ABFDB4D3FC95/HP-FW190D-25lg.JPG.jpg[/img]
Old 06-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Lars from Norway

Was away at the hobbystore today and looked and asked and talked and felt and got some prices for the plane So no i am even more hooked. Did you press the wrong button, Solman? Guess you should have chosen the [img] instead of the [quote] I like the FW 190 too, but not as much as the 109.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 PM
wolfy888

Lars, the 109 is notorious for difficult ground handling, so watch your step on TO's and landings. The narrow footprint is prone to ground loops. This is my absolute favorite aircraft of WWII; Willie M was a genius, but he didn't consider inexperienced pilots much. The Parkzone plane seems to be the best one I've seen, so that's a good choice. Have fun, and post results and experiences if you can. Wolfy888
Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Lars from Norway

I have seen a weak point in the fuselage on the Mess, right behind the motor. Have seen some pics of it in a thread on another forum. But that don't scare me away. I have also seen some funny landings due to the narrow landing gear, but that is how it was in real life too i suppose
Old 06-23-2010, 04:02 PM
fmw

I'll provide a little advice.  I find the BF109 very easy to land.  In fact it floats in on a dead stick landing very nicely.  I use flaperons.  It is taking off that is the challenge.  The 3 blade prop really makes the plane want to turn left.  As soon as it leaves the ground it tip stalls to the left.  My advice is to get the recommeded 2 blade prop and optional 2 blade spinner.  They recommend a 12X12 APC prop.  I painted one dark gray with white tips and mounted it on mine.   The two blade prop is better behaved by far and makes takeoffs fairly normal.  You can show the model off with the 3 blade and fly it with the 2 blade.  You can hand lauch the BF109 easily as well if you want to do that.  I have had no problems with the 3 blade prop with hand launches.   it has plenty of power.  Best of luck.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Lars from Norway

Thanks for the advice!

So the threeblade prop makes it "torque steer"? When in flight i can't count how many blades the prop has anyway, so that is of no concern I guess there will be some hand launching in the start as i will most likely fly on grass fields.