Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM
ombudsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please allow me to introduce myself...

I'm a manof no wealth or fame.

If this is an inappropriate forum for a personal introduction, I hope a moderator will be gentle and just move it. Inasmuch as my RC hobby will, in future,be all electric, I am posting here.

My name is Dave. I am re-entering RC after a 10-year hiatus. Back in the day, I started with a Goldberg Eagle, .25-size, trainer, built as a tail-dragger. I powered it with an OS .32FS, an engine that the LHS said would "tear the wings off of it." It didn't. While my instructor "helped" me build the trainer (Actually, he built it himself, with me watching - he wouldn't let me work on my own plane! LOL. Probably just as well, as I really learned a lot about building.) he taught me to fly using his Four Star .40. My first "step-up" plane was an ACE Blue Max II, also powered by the .32. The LHS said that this was too much plane for me and that I would crash it immediately. I did not. The Blue Max was a really nice-flying plane with but two faults: 1.) You had to be aware and ready for tip stalls, and 2.) The fuse is weak just behind the trailing edge of the wing. Subsequent Blue Maxes we built with added reinforcement there. From there I built a series of planes, including: a .40-sized Kaos; an ACE Super Pacer, powered by an OS .25FS with a pipe; a .60-sized Super Hots powered by a SuperTigre .90; several StickIt IIs (fun-fly plane with massive control surfaces; a 102" Big Hots, powered by a 4.2 c.i. A&M Sachs; and a Goldberg Electra. I've probably missed a few in there. In about 2000, I traded the Big Hots for a nice motorcycle and sold off all my other planes and equipment.

Recently I had a recurrence of RC fever, and bought a Slo-V for a hundred bucks. I thought that this would be an easy way to at least "scratch the itch" and "get my thumbs back." I really assumed that, like riding a bicycle, it would all come back to me quickly. Nope. It's taken me 15 or 20 flights with the V to pretty much get back in the groove - and I'm not completely there yet. I'd surely hate to think that my age, 65, has anything to do with my slow recovery of skills. LOL. Of course, the re-learning curve is made very difficult due to the rarity of (even) calmish summer days here in Oklahoma.

My plan at present involve buying a good DSM2 radio and building an aerobatic electric. I have always liked the Hots series, and am thinking along those lines. I am studying (and I've learned a TON of stuff here) power systems and foam-working with the thought of cutting my own wings and other parts. My plan (half-formed, or maybe I should say half-bakedLOL) is to design and build a modular plane with easy to replace parts.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I have been enjoying lurking in this friendly, helpful place. Thanks to all who have contributed to my electric education (and believe me, you're starting from scratch educating me on this subject. LOL.)
Old 07-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Please allow me to introduce myself...

Welcome to the bright side (-: From everything I've heard the Slo-V isn't the best re-entry bird. The GWS Slo-Stick is a much better flyer. but you flies what you gots. I urge you to sign on to the Ampeer Newsletter published by Ken Myers ([email protected] -I think. If I'm wrong just google "Ampeer"). This is IMHO the premier electric newsletter. When I started e-power back in 92 I knew nothing and learned 90% of my e-knowledge by reading it. There's a "PLane rating" section that tells what different pilots of have done for power systems. I haven't been there in a while, but I recall there being several Hots set ups.

I, too, was out of the hobby for twelve years when I discovered e-power. I bought a Graupner UHU glider to get my thumbs retrained.

Walt
Old 07-23-2010, 05:45 PM
ombudsman

Thanks, Walt. I'll check it out. I know very little about electrical systems (though I've learned a bunch here.)
Dave
Old 07-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Walt Thyng

I'm entirely self-taught. Just read, read, read and ask questions. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask (unless it's because you're too lazy to do some research on your own). The second half of that statement is in reaction to the posters of questions for which answers are readily available through for example google. If I can be of any help let me know.
Walt

PS there are no books on e-power currently (no pun intended) available that are worth your money. Several people have hinted that they're writing one, but they haven't shown up yet. I own nearly all of the ones published to date and they are all waaaaay out of date. perhaps the rapid development of e-power is why no new books have hit the market.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:07 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Dave,

If you liked the Hots and want an electric fun plane then the H9 Mini Ultra Stick should feed your need. My son has one of these and it is as much fun as a plane much larger than it's apparent size.

Bliksem

Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 PM
ombudsman

Thanks, Walt. To me, half the fun is studying, learning andplanningabout a project. I'll probably end up purchasing an already tailored system, but at least I will know why! LOL

That looks like a nice plane, Bliksem. What I am thinking about is an airframe with the symmetrical airfoil, proportions and moments of a scaled-down StickIt II (I have the StickIt plans,) with a Hots-ish fuse. It will probably have a CF or aluminum "backbone" to which motor (and everything else) will be attached. I'm thinking a two-piece wing, each half with two small-diameter CF tube "spars. The wings will have lightening windows cut in them and be covered with monocoat. My present thinking is that the"spars" will pluginto the fuse, with a breakaway feature in case ofan unplanned landing LOL. I'm really enjoying the planning of thisproject; So much to learn! I'm learning about foam, foam cutting, electrical engineering, power system design and application, and more - all at the same time! I'm counting on the pieces of the puzzle coming together, first in my mind, then in reality. Then,one hopes, in the air!
Dave
Old 07-28-2010, 07:59 AM
jbflier

gregcovey.com may be helpfull also.................
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Walt Thyng

John's is an excellent suggestion.

In my experience lightening holes aren't worth the effort unless you are going all out for weight savings like we had to in the early days. I suggest you take some scrap, weigh it, then put holes in it and weigh it again. I think you'll be surprised.
Walt
Old 07-28-2010, 04:23 PM
ombudsman

Very interesting thought, Walt. I'll ponder it. Thanks.

Thanks, jbflier. I'll check it out.
Dave
Old 07-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto on the Slow Stick vs a Slo-V for starting out. The V tail just seems to be too prone to problems.

When you get back into the groove again the Slow Stick or SS can be converted into a 4 channel beast, the SSX. Fully symmetrical wing, and balsa tail feathers. At last count I had 3 SSX's. One with wheels, one with floats, and one with 50+ LED's for night flying. www.milleniumrc.com has the conversion kits.

Or another great plane is the Park Zone T-28 Trojan. A very easy flying no bad habits bird. Add flaps and it can crawl across the sky.

Anyhow, Welcome back to the addiction.