RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/)
-   -   Connectors (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/11139252-connectors.html)

jim4242 07-01-2012 06:17 PM

Connectors

I am getting into gas to electric conversion and also building new electric planes and more so than ever I would like to know what make of connectors are the best for performance and ease of connecting and disconnecting. I like the Deans but thy are so difficult to get apart. I have ordered a ICE100 ECS, a Hacker 50 motor and a Watts up to put connectors on that have pretty heavy wires I would like to order the connectors based on suggestions.

Thank you in advance,Jim

<br type="_moz" />

goirish 07-01-2012 06:27 PM

RE: Connectors

Most of our club members use the Anderson Power Poles.

Walt Thyng 07-02-2012 04:00 AM

Used Power poles exclusively since 92. Prefer to solder rather than crimp 'cause I'm cheap and they can be reused.
Walt

jim4242 07-02-2012 05:23 PM

Thanks to both of you, actually after reading your replys I went on ebay and found some at a reasonable price.
As always , thanks for your help.

Jim<br type="_moz" />

jbdismukes 07-04-2012 04:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Walt Thyng

Prefer to solder rather than crimp 'cause I'm cheap and they can be reused.
Walt
DITTO... You can buy a lot of solder for the price of that crimper!

Jack

ndelisle 10-19-2012 02:12 PM

I use Deans Ultra. The bullet connectors lose tension and conductivity probably.
Here's a way to making Deans easier to use : 1. glue on strips of sandpaper to the halves for gripping. I use CA for that. 2. put a touch of petrolium jelly ( Vaseline ) on the prongs. The jelly is conductive and these fixes work for me.
My biggest motor only pulls 60 amps but the Deans are supposed to be good to 100 Amps.

Nelson DeLisle

eagle33 10-20-2012 03:59 AM

Also, sprinkle some powdered graphite on top of the vasoline or mineral oil.

knifemaker 10-27-2012 02:18 PM

I use Deans Ultra on most of my planes. When soldering on them, plug the male and female together. This keeps them in alignment if the plastic housing softens from the heat. Also, if one becomes tight, I use di-electric grease. Early on I saw a neat tool in a tips column. It was a spring type clothes pin with 1/16 brass pins glued into holes drilled in the tip end. Matching holes were drilled through the connectors (use care to not hit the conductors). the pins were put into the connector holes, squeeze the clothes pin and the connector was pried open. I keep one of these in my tool box but have not had to use it since learning the soldering trick.

Rfabbre 05-05-2013 03:06 PM

I am new to electric and am converting an old 45 size 3d plane.

I see Anderson connectors up to 45 amps. My 50 size motor pulls about 60 amps at WOT. I have a 100 amp ESC and 5000mah 6s battery.

Will the 45 amp Anderson connectors handle the load?

Does anyone have advice on a spark arrestor wire setup?

Thanx in advance<br type="_moz" />

LesUyeda 05-06-2013 06:58 AM

"I like the Deans but thy are so difficult to get apart. "

If you get a pair of circlip/snap ring pliers, and drill holes in each connector, you can use the pliers to unplug them easily.

LEs

Glacier Girl 05-06-2013 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Rfabbre

I am new to electric and am converting an old 45 size 3d plane.

I see Anderson connectors up to 45 amps. My 50 size motor pulls about 60 amps at WOT. I have a 100 amp ESC and 5000mah 6s battery.

Will the 45 amp Anderson connectors handle the load?

Does anyone have advice on a spark arrestor wire setup?

Thanx in advance<br type=''_moz'' />

Not sure I would use a 45 amp rated plug for a 60 amp load...

Have you looked at the EC5 plugs from Hobby King? Rated at 120 amps. And like the Andersons, you solder the wire to the pins, then insert the pins into the housings. They'll handle a 10 gauge wire with ease and an 8 with a little work.

As for the spark arrestor, here's a picture of of one type. Just uses a resistor to connect first, before the main connection. Note Castle says you should not use them on their esc's.

Rfabbre 05-06-2013 10:39 AM

Thanx for the info. Do you leave the spark arrestor connected during flight or unplug it after you connect the main wires?

Glacier Girl 05-06-2013 11:37 AM

Disconnect the arrestor after you've hooked up the main connection. The small wire wouldn't survive the amp draw otherwise.

Rfabbre 05-06-2013 12:57 PM

Got it.

Thanx