RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/)
-   -   Prop mount on Tacon motor (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/11261413-prop-mount-tacon-motor.html)

rgburrill 10-13-2012 01:29 PM

Prop mount on Tacon motor

1 Attachment(s)
I have finally completed my SV4 Stampe with a Tacon Bigfoot 60 motor. It comes with a prop adapter and hardware but no instructions. I have not used one of these before and it is quite a bit different than a glow engine. It has a nut, washer with one side beveled and a prop nut. The shaft is thread to within a 1/4 inch of the mount. I assume the nut goes on first, then the washer with the beveled side in so the larger diameter contacts the prop, then the prop and finally the prop nut. There should be two images below, one showing the entire setup and one showing just the hardware without the prop. Am I doing this right?

Thanks.

ps: sorry about the focus - my camera normally does an excellent job so it must have been the photographer (me). It was very cold in the basement this morning.

jzrf6c 10-13-2012 04:10 PM

RE: Prop mount on Tacon motor

Looks right to me. I've seen these before. I place a allen wrence in the prop nut and then a wrench on the nut behind the prop. So far I've had no problems.

rgburrill 10-14-2012 04:36 AM

Thanks.

blvdbuzzard 10-14-2012 07:26 AM

That is not right. It is no different then the glow setup.

The prop goes against the prop hub just like you glow engine, then the beveled washer then the nut then the prop nut if you need it. If you look at the prop adapter, it has knurls just like the drive washer of you glow engines.

Buzz.

rgburrill 10-16-2012 04:53 PM

First, the prop hub is only 1/2" from the motor and there is no way the motor can get that close to the cowl. Second, the thread on the shaft stops about 1/4: from the hub and is larger in diameter than the thread. So I really don't think the prop is supposed to go all the way to the hub.

Oh, and third, I have never used a regular nut on a prop when using a prop nut, even on my Corsair which had a very high RPMOS30SX. That would really look stupid and not like any real plane I have seen. Like the previous poster I think the nut is the adjustable stop for the prop.

But thanks for the option.

blvdbuzzard 10-16-2012 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Would you mount the prop like that on a glow engine?

The prop is suppose to rest against the prop hub just like the glow engine. The spinner nut and the hex nut are interchangeable. You can use one or the other or both.

If the motor is not mounted far enough forward, that is another problem.

Here is my Giles 202 50 sized with a Monster power 46.

Buzz.