RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric General Discussion (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/)
-   -   Hobby King yuck (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/11312266-hobby-king-yuck.html)

jeffk464 11-28-2012 08:33 AM

Hobby King yuck
 
Well placed an order at Hobby King and payed for the 2-3 day shipping. I made sure everything is in stock, well three days later and the order hasn't even shipped yet. I tried to get in touch with them so I could cancel the order and no phone numbers on their site. They have supposedly an online chat with support but I click on the link and a page pops up with the working icon, but nothing happens. I suggest people avoid this vendor, they don't provide any support. Looks like I'm going to end up being out of town now when my order arrives, and my $90 order will be sitting on the porch for a week. What are the odds it will still be there when I get back? Thanks a lot.

jzrf6c 11-28-2012 10:48 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 
Sorry Jeff,

But I have great luck and deals with HobbyKing. Remember that the WEB site reflects availability of items from their time prespective. And sometimes I notice they don't update the web site as quickly as I'd like. BUT, I've had the same problem with other sites here in the U.S.A. In fact right now I have an order in to Atlanta Hobby that has not shipped in over two weeks. They claim that when it comes in to receiving the web site updates as available. However, they may have a backlog or such. So, its only a WAG as to when you'll get your order.

If you look hard you will find a support phone number on the HobbyKing web site. But, remember there is a time difference between China and us. Have you tried email? I would always suggest you pay via PayPal or credit card. That way you do have some protection.

Better luck next time.

goirish 11-28-2012 11:08 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 
I guess I was thinking that most everything from HK requires a signature. If not can you have a neighbor be on the lookout for the package.

ATVAlliance 11-28-2012 11:14 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 
If you arent going to be there when its delivered, dont expect anything "sitting there" till you get back other than a post it note telling you options for pickup/redilivery unless you have someone to recieve the package in your absense.

Every order that I have made with HK has come "signature required". Its a real PITA for me as my wife and I both work and no one is ever home to sign for the package. My last order I just had it delivered to my workplace as there is always someone there to sign.

Im not really dissing HK per say...as I still order from them, time to time. But I try to locate things that I need stateside and from a vendor that will ship and not make it signature required.

I wouldnt be able to be at the leve I am at in this hobby without having "cheap" places to purchase from, HK being one of them. If I had to rely on my LHS and or one of the bigger online retailers that sell the "top of the line" everything...I would probably only own less than 1/3 of the models that I enjoy today.

So saying all of that...as much as a PITA it can be dealing with HK and the like...to me, its worth the hassle/lack of support to be able to afford more "toys". lol. Also, keep in mind that when you use places such as HK, be prepared to get stuck with a lemon. Luckily after spending a couple grand with them...Ive never had any major issues. Sure, Ive had a servo or two be bad out of the pack...but its not worth trying to get it replaced. As far as planes and larger items I have bought from them...Ive not had any issues, knock on wood.

Also, I should add...I just placed an order with A-Main Hobbies on the 24th of this month, just today was I informed that the order was shipped. Ive never had an order take this long to process to ship from them in the past...I chalk it up to being the Thanksgiving Holiday and Black Friday sale has put them behind. But, just wanted to say that things like this can happen with very reputal companies like A Main Hobbies.

jeffk464 11-28-2012 11:34 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 
No customer service phone number, all they have is online chat. With the online chat they answer very basic questions and if you ask for anything they don't want they close your chat session. I tried to get them to change the delivery address, they told me it ships in 1-2 days and then closed the chat session. I tried to cancel the order, they asked me the order number and then when i replied with it they closed the chat session. Basically there goal with their customer service is just to dump you without helping. By the way, the wharehouse is located in the US so its not like I'm chatting with customer service in China.

Don't buy from these guys. How do they expect return customers.

jeffk464 11-28-2012 11:36 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: jzrf6c

Sorry Jeff,

But I have great luck and deals with HobbyKing. Remember that the WEB site reflects availability of items from their time prespective. And sometimes I notice they don't update the web site as quickly as I'd like. BUT, I've had the same problem with other sites here in the U.S.A. In fact right now I have an order in to Atlanta Hobby that has not shipped in over two weeks. They claim that when it comes in to receiving the web site updates as available. However, they may have a backlog or such. So, its only a WAG as to when you'll get your order.

If you look hard you will find a support phone number on the HobbyKing web site. But, remember there is a time difference between China and us. Have you tried email? I would always suggest you pay via PayPal or credit card. That way you do have some protection.

Better luck next time.
Yes, I did try email.

jeffk464 11-28-2012 11:40 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

If you arent going to be there when its delivered, dont expect anything ''sitting there'' till you get back other than a post it note telling you options for pickup/redilivery unless you have someone to recieve the package in your absense.

Every order that I have made with HK has come ''signature required''. Its a real PITA for me as my wife and I both work and no one is ever home to sign for the package. My last order I just had it delivered to my workplace as there is always someone there to sign.

Im not really dissing HK per say...as I still order from them, time to time. But I try to locate things that I need stateside and from a vendor that will ship and not make it signature required.

I wouldnt be able to be at the leve I am at in this hobby without having ''cheap'' places to purchase from, HK being one of them. If I had to rely on my LHS and or one of the bigger online retailers that sell the ''top of the line'' everything...I would probably only own less than 1/3 of the models that I enjoy today.

So saying all of that...as much as a PITA it can be dealing with HK and the like...to me, its worth the hassle/lack of support to be able to afford more ''toys''. lol. Also, keep in mind that when you use places such as HK, be prepared to get stuck with a lemon. Luckily after spending a couple grand with them...Ive never had any major issues. Sure, Ive had a servo or two be bad out of the pack...but its not worth trying to get it replaced. As far as planes and larger items I have bought from them...Ive not had any issues, knock on wood.

Also, I should add...I just placed an order with A-Main Hobbies on the 24th of this month, just today was I informed that the order was shipped. Ive never had an order take this long to process to ship from them in the past...I chalk it up to being the Thanksgiving Holiday and Black Friday sale has put them behind. But, just wanted to say that things like this can happen with very reputal companies like A Main Hobbies.

Yes, I didn't really trust them with a plane order. I just ordered 3 lipo packs and some fake deans connectors. The plane I got them for I ordered from Tower Hobbies.

jeffk464 11-28-2012 12:03 PM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 
Quote:

Every order that I have made with HK has come "signature required". Its a real PITA for me as my wife and I both work and no one is ever home to sign for the package. My last order I just had it delivered to my workplace as there is always someone there to sign.
Who did they use to ship your orders? If its USPS I might just be able to put a hold on my mail until I get back, this works for mail but I'm not sure about packages. Where I live my post office acts kind of like a small town and they are actually pretty helpful.

ATVAlliance 11-29-2012 06:14 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

Quote:

Every order that I have made with HK has come "signature required". Its a real PITA for me as my wife and I both work and no one is ever home to sign for the package. My last order I just had it delivered to my workplace as there is always someone there to sign.
Who did they use to ship your orders? If its USPS I might just be able to put a hold on my mail until I get back, this works for mail but I'm not sure about packages. Where I live my post office acts kind of like a small town and they are actually pretty helpful.
Sorry for the late reply but I didnt check the site again till this morning.

All of my HK orders (and Ive ordered from them probably a dozen times in the past 3 years) have came USPS. I always use EMS shipping as it only takes about 2 weeks when using that option. I did try regular shipping and it took almost a month, so I feel its worth it to pay the extra 10-15 bucks to get it 2 weeks quicker. Either method used always was delivered by USPS to me...and always requires a signature.

I do have an order in with them right now that came from USA warehouse. If I am remembering right...the USA warehouse gives you the option to use UPS. I dont know whether it will be sig required or not...but a friend from highschool is our UPS driver and he will sign for me if thats the case.

Dayaks 11-29-2012 05:30 PM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 
I have used Hobby King for lipos - but I plan to switch to thunder power. Everything else I try to get USA made or owned. ( Neumotor, CC, Traxxas, LHS, ect.) Those places have always responded promptly and intelligently. I dread having issues with HK. Ever read the product reviews? Even if I had a bad lipo and they accepted it back it would cost me what the battery cost in shipping to send it back$

ATVAlliance 11-30-2012 05:22 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Dayaks

I have used Hobby King for lipos - but I plan to switch to thunder power. Everything else I try to get USA made or owned. ( Neumotor, CC, Traxxas, LHS, ect.) Those places have always responded promptly and intelligently. I dread having issues with HK. Ever read the product reviews? Even if I had a bad lipo and they accepted it back it would cost me what the battery cost in shipping to send it back$

I would like to be able to do all of my business with the LHS around my area, but I cant. For one, I just cant afford to. And probably even more important, they dont carry a lot of the things that I usually need to buy. Granted, I live in quite a rural area and guessI am lucky that I not only have 1, but 2 hobby shops within a 30 minute drive. But it really does no good when you drive 30 minutes only to find that they dont have what you drove the trip for.

There is no way I could afford Thunder Power packs for all of my electrics. I have probably 45+ lipos if you count all the little 1s packs for micros all the way up to 6s 5000ma 40c packs. I mostly use the Blue Lipo brand that HobbyPartz.Com sell. They arent as powerful as a TP pack, but are definitely a lot cheaper.

I think HK and the like definitely have their place in our hobby. Like I said...no way I would be able to be this deep into the hobby if not for those types of resources to have available. Right now I am 3 years into the hobby and I have 11 CPhelis with a Rappy 50 being my largest and 16 planks with a 65cc Yak being the largest one. Some people may look down their nose at some of my models just because they have a CMP or EXI logo on them...but all of them fly...fly well...and I am having a great time with all of them, which is the main thing here.

Again though...never buy anything from HK or banna hobby or anywhere else that has had suspect reviews unless you can afford to "eat it". Thats been my philosophy all along...its just I havent had to eat more than a couple 2 dollar servos in all that I have bought.

jeffk464 11-30-2012 06:31 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 
I was finally able to get a decent response from HK and they did finally took care of my issue.

Dayaks 11-30-2012 06:55 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 
ATV

Yeah, I am lucky that my LHS has prices similar to what I find online, and it's 10 minutes away. It is small, but what I love about it is it's locally owned and operated.

I understand that with a fleet like that you need to look for deals. :). I am happy with one or two trucks, helis and planes. Plus my wife would flip if I went past that. Maybe once the kids are gone I'll be in your shoes.

My hope is if I buy items of quality, they'll last years. I guess I'll find out!!

I did think it was cool - I asked Neumotors about what I should expect for a surge duration and within 12 hours Steve Neu answered. I think that's neat and inspires confidence when the owner/inventor takes that much interest in his work.

ATVAlliance 11-30-2012 10:11 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Dayaks

ATV

Yeah, I am lucky that my LHS has prices similar to what I find online, and it's 10 minutes away. It is small, but what I love about it is it's locally owned and operated.

I understand that with a fleet like that you need to look for deals. :). I am happy with one or two trucks, helis and planes. Plus my wife would flip if I went past that. Maybe once the kids are gone I'll be in your shoes.

My hope is if I buy items of quality, they'll last years. I guess I'll find out!!

I did think it was cool - I asked Neumotors about what I should expect for a surge duration and within 12 hours Steve Neu answered. I think that's neat and inspires confidence when the owner/inventor takes that much interest in his work.
I too, wish I could do all of my business locally. I used to be a small business owner in a small rural area/town and I know how hard it is for a small business to survive. When the only option a consumer has is buying from the net...we will all be screwed! I mean look at how WalMart does business. When they are first in a community, they have super low prices. Then, a few years later as they have killed off all the small "mom &pops" stores...they raise their prices. Because there is no other option for people and they basically have to pay what WMasks, or do without, or go the online route.

Like I said...I am somewhat lucky to have 2 shops within a 30 minute drive of me (and they are only 1 mile or less apart from one another). But, when I take a list of say 10 items and have to go to both places to buy less than half of whats on the list...only to have to order the remainder of the stuff from several online stores...it makes it a quite a chore to get what I need. Would be better off for me to save my gas and buy all of the list from online. Add in that places like HK make it so much more affordable to do so is just "icing on the cake". Granted, you could end up buying a piece of crap and get stuck with it...but thats a gamble Im willing to take since in the long run you definitely will end up on the winning side, all said and done.

Normally I only buy things that I cant wait on shipping and/or fuel for my glo powered models locally. Misc items like props/wheels/covering/etc... too on occasion, but even props I want/need arent stocked well at either shop. Really though, this is more the fault of the owners of the hobby shops not being "in the know" about what people in the area are into. I dont think either of the owners are into RC as much as someone like myself...which can be understandable to a point because they have to be there working the store when we all are out enjoying our models. But still, its hard for a shop to do good business and stock the things that people want if they dont employee people that know what is popular and can keep in stock. I definitely dont mind paying a little more for something local if I can take my entire list and get it filled in one trip. Id even pay 20 or 30 dollars more on the total to not have to deal with ordering online.

I thought about opening a shop myself at one point,because I feel that I could stock what people want and need since I am really active in the hobby. But, like I said...if I did that, Id not have any time to enjoy the hobby and may at some point end up just like the current shop owners...without a clue as to what is popular or what sells good.

I could go on and on...but likely would be a wall of text that isnt going to interst many people to read. lol

So in closing, Im just glad that there are places like HK and the like for me to be able to get what I need, and all at one place. Plus it helps that I can have more models overall than if say I only bought top of the line models....ie Align, Logo, Hangar9, Great Planes, Carden, etc...

Turbobearcat 12-01-2012 07:02 AM

RE: Hobby King yuck
 
I have ordered several things from them and it got here a day earlier than they estimated which is good in my book.

Sorry you had some bad luck, I think we all will somewhere down the line with any company, the main thing is stay in contact with them and express the issue - HK does come around to help
and I am glad to hear they are helping you.. I will be continuing my business with them as they keep putting out good products.


Mark


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:23 AM.