RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/)
-   -   Albany NY special regulations? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/11413144-albany-ny-special-regulations.html)

sal37 02-17-2013 08:14 AM

Albany NY special regulations?

Hi Guys,

I just moved to Albany NY and brought out my parkflyer ( E-flite Alpha 450 ) for some stick time in a local park. As soon as I showed up and taxied my plane, a police officer walked across the field waving at me. So I just stood there and waited with my plane and he informed me that it is illegal in Albany to fly a model plane with a wingspan over 12 inches. I didn't want to argue with him or get cited so I just left.

Now, I have been looking online for any mention of this ordinance but can find nothing. Is there anyone here from Albany who can fill me in on the situation. I am wondering if it was just that particular cop who didn't like model planes or if this ordinance is real.

I am not ruling out eventually joining a club, but I have a huge beautiful field near my apartment and for now I would really like to get some evening flights in after work.

Please Help!

Sal

JohnShe 02-17-2013 04:37 PM

RE: Albany NY special regulations?

New York state park regulations say that you must have a permit to fly model airplanes.

http://nysparks.com/publications/doc...egulations.pdf

In reality, flying in public parks anywhere is at best problematic. Wherever you fly you must have permission to fly. If you can find a secluded place far from buildings and people and you can obtain permission to fly there then it will be a good place to fly. My own experience has led me to join a club and fly at their field.

You could try to contact the city of Albany and ask for permission.

raptureboy 02-18-2013 05:28 AM

State park regs are completely different than local park regs. I would contact your local parks dept.

LesUyeda 02-18-2013 07:48 AM

"State park regs are completely different than local park regs. I would contact your local parks dept. "

But if the County Mounty is against it, it really doesn't matter what the regs say, he will be able to find something that you are violating. It just ain't worth the hassle.

I know that in San Diego the municipal code is written such that it can be easily interpreted to make throwing a baseball illegal.

Les

JohnShe 02-18-2013 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

State park regs are completely different than local park regs. I would contact your local parks dept.
Yes, that's what I said.

Gohmer 02-18-2013 02:30 PM

Guy asks "Is there anyone here from Albany who can fill me in on the situation." And he gets replys from VA, CA, and PA.

I sure wish I could help you. Maybe someone with some accurate information finally will.

sal37 02-18-2013 03:11 PM

Thanks to all of you. I'm new in Albany. Yes, I am hoping for a local who flies and definitively knows the local codes. I've done a few Google searches and so far nothing. There are a few local clubs on the net but I am afraid of getting a bunch of "just join a club" responses. Yes, I may. I'm not ruling it out. But right now I just would like a few flights at this big beautiful empty field near my home and I would like to know the real deal. Don't want to get in trouble either.

Gohmer 02-18-2013 03:32 PM

Maybe ask here? http://www.rcgroups.com/usa-district-ii-347/

JohnShe 02-19-2013 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: sal37

Thanks to all of you. I'm new in Albany. Yes, I am hoping for a local who flies and definitively knows the local codes. I've done a few Google searches and so far nothing. There are a few local clubs on the net but I am afraid of getting a bunch of "just join a club" responses. Yes, I may. I'm not ruling it out. But right now I just would like a few flights at this big beautiful empty field near my home and I would like to know the real deal. Don't want to get in trouble either.
You know that the people who know more than anybody about Albany Regulations are the people who run the city of Albany. Just call the parks department and ask them.

Gohmer 02-20-2013 11:20 AM

The people who know where and when you can fly in Albany are the people that are flying in Albany. That's who Sal wants to contact.

Calling someone is a waste of time. The locals that fly know what you can get away with.

JohnShe 02-20-2013 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Gohmer

The people who know where and when you can fly in Albany are the people that are flying in Albany. That's who Sal wants to contact.

Calling someone is a waste of time. The locals that fly know what you can get away with.
Sheeesh!