Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Making the leap

Old 11-26-2010, 12:28 PM
mgauthier711

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the leap

I want to start with indoor heli's but am confused by the enormous number of options available today for that class of helicopter. Here is what I "think" would make a great indoor or indoor/outdoor heli for my Spektrum DX7 transmitter:

Plug-n-play DSM2 compatible, 4-7 channel
heading lock gyro
Brushless 3 cell lipo
Very stable and well mannered for the beginner
Very tough beginner model
under $200.00 US
Nice extra would be ability to fly well outdoors in light wind
Nice extra would be gyro hover stabilization in 3 axis (won't move unless pushed by wind or directed to move with controller)

Please make recommendations for brands or specific heli's that best meet these requirements.

Why all the focus on stability? I am 63 years old and a little bit slow with coordination.

Thanks for helping me get started.

Mike
Old 11-26-2010, 01:26 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Making the leap

I am trying to learn heli. But I fly my mSR inside and outside on my DX7. I really enjoy it. It has 2 swash setting so you can learn on the slower side and then easily switch. And you can play with the tx to limit yourself as well. While it will fly in airplane mode I programmed mine in as a heli and I am much happier. That will allow you to have 3 throttle curves. It has 2 bigger brothers, SR and SR 120, I have no info on them. These are fixed pitch helis. I do not like the lifespan of the Horizon batteries, so I use Hyperion batteries.

I recognize that this is not what you have envisioned, but for $105 list you are set up. I would recommend a spare set of blade grips and at least one spare landing skid. Yo can practice indoors and transition to outdoors.

Good luck!!

Fern

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodId=EFLH3080

My mSR 2 days ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_9WHTcjJs8