Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Home Made Balsa Profile and Reintroduction

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Home Made Balsa Profile and Reintroduction

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM
sixinarow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Made Balsa Profile and Reintroduction

Hi everyone. I'll quickly reintroduce myself. My name is Nick, I'm 30 years old, and I have an addiction. R/C aircraft! My first airplane was a 3-channel twin called a Typhoon. A Toys R Us style years ago. Then I got a Royal Air Mark II trainer with a K&B .45 and a JR AM radio. That was also years ago.

I got out of it for many years. I then bought a Raptor 30, sold it because it was too much. Then I bought a CX2 and managed to have some fun with that. Then I bought a CP Pro. What a handful for a beginner heli pilot. I sold it. But 3 years ago, I think it was, I bought a PZ Vapor. That sparked my interest in airplanes again, specifically indoor micros.

I then bought an mCX. Between that and the Vapor I was having fun but wanted something for outside. Currently I have a Vapor, UM Trojan, Blade mCX, CX2, SR, and mCPX. So, I started researching micros and found the UM Trojan. What a blast. I'm on my third airframe, third motor, etc. but I still fly it. But I wanted more. A profile 3D plane. I fell in love with the Morris Hobbies planes years ago. I've researched some profiles but have yet to buy one.

I then realized I have a TON of balsa. Hundreds of sheets and sticks from when a hardware store my brother worked at decided not to carry it anymore. They gave it to him. Now, it sits in my garage.

So, I decided to make my own 3D plane. I decided to use the motor and guts from my UM Trojan. Here are some specs.

Balsa and packing tape construction. It is tabbed construction. It is seven pieces. Well, it was more due to a few mistakes and modifications. But the main wing and fuse and non-moving horizontal stab was actually four pieces tabbed and glued. Vertical fuse is two pieces.
I visually modeled it off the E-Flite Extra 300 UMX. I drew up everything by hand on grid paper, then transfered lines to the wood
The stuff I didn't have was more pushrod wire, UM Sukhoi landing gear, two Spektrum long throw linear servos for the ailerons, and mini control horns
It weighs 45 grams (1.59 oz). I tried my best to keep it lighter!
Wingspan is 13"
Length is 15.125" (15 and 1/8")
Wing "chord" at fuse is 4.25" (4 and 1/4")
CG is 1.875" behind leading edge at fuse (1 and 7/8")

I was going to maiden it today but it's 17 degrees and breezy and also 5 inches of snow on ground. And I was wearing tennis shoes. I wasn't about to run through the snow to get it if it tanked!

I just think it's too heavy. It weighs more than my Trojan does. Will it fly? Likely. Will it hover? I doubt it. I'm thinking of doing a 1s or 2s brushless conversion using the AR brick.

And now for the pics!

http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community

Thanks! I welcomes tips, feedback and even criticism.

Nick
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 PM
mikesand
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Home Made Balsa Profile and Reintroduction

stiffen wing with carbon struts and should do fine.full throt at takeoff, climb fast or just hand launch vert w full throttle get altitude and trim out.
mike in fort collins waiting for warm tomorrow maybe.