Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

ParkZone UM T-28 Brotherhood+Mods

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

ParkZone UM T-28 Brotherhood+Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Saburo Sakai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ParkZone UM T-28 Brotherhood+Mods

She's sweet rightout of the factory, O.E.M., totally stock She has conquered my local salty Bay and stormed the Beach where she kicked up sand onto her prop,and she still flies strong.
But I adjure you all, please, give us your MODS.
Give us your video andFPVsparkle

For instance I'm looking for larger tires/wheels Ican just throw on the stock wire axles?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36403.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1709827  
Old 01-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Saburo Sakai

Default RE: ParkZone UM T-28 Brotherhood+Mods

"Sisters" are welcome too, as long as they fly the T-Two-Eightand are fun-loving ladies of the sky!
BTW, after a wind gust-assisted nose-dive into pavementI'm employing styrofoam splints w/ CA on T-28 #1's slightly crumpled nose. She flew steady after the crash nonetheless. No worries!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Sloberdog

Saburo - I would recommend to change the title to "....T-28 Brotherhood share your performance improvement mods" or similar. Just a suggestion.

Here are three mods that made a significant difference on my micro T-28:

1) Not enough elevator: Push a finishing nail just above the elevator connecting rod past the "NAVY" sticker. Now I did this after doing mod-2 below as I still could not get a neutral elevator. This did the trick! The plane flies much more like a real RC plane without the continuous need to push the elevator stick down. Kill the engine...and it does come down much hotter than before.

2) Not enough elevator: Move the elevator arm connection all the way to the top of the elevator horn, or at least higher than stock. This mod makes the plane react much, much, more responsive. You do need to be very comfortable flying the stock set-up before doing this mod. This mod allows you to fly inverted and actually power loop out of inverted flight.

3) Not enough flying time: Purchased three Hyperion 25C 160mAh 3.7V batteries from Ebay for like $25.00 with shipping. These batteries weigh 5-grams while the stock 120mAh batteries weigh 3-grams. I did not notice any weight issue and the batteries fit with room to spare. I got consistent 10 minute flights with varied throttle use...no difference in power noticed. 30-40 minutes of park flying with these three batteries was more than enough for me.

Just got back into flying planes, had 3-channel park fliers in the past. This is a fun little plane as you can fly it slow by your head and in tight quarters. It is so light that I can't foresee doing any damage to anything or hurting anyone with it. I do fly it in an empty baseball field located very near my home. Got the plane mostly to fly in the dunes while taking breaks between quad riding. Looking forward to friends getting similar planes so that we can throw some streamers on them and do some combat/dog fighting. I have my glue and tape ready.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Saburo Sakai

Good idea,Dog! Did it! Now it could be interpreted as "+modifications" or "+models"
Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Saburo Sakai

Du-Bro Mini-Lite 1" wheels snapped right on the standard axle with the OEM standard wheel retainers! Super Trojan is born!

Name:	Lj22910.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1728420  
Old 02-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Sloberdog

So, since I was last here, both the motor and the aileron servo died on me. I had no idea the motor only had a life of around 50 or so battery flights...I guess ...around 5 hours of run time....apparently all these PZ micros do.

While ordering the replacement parts, I added a Spektrum DX6I radio to my order. The T-28 is back and ready to fly. Does anyone have a good DX6I settings for flying the UM T-28? Mixes and such?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Saburo Sakai

Personal settings right now: rates: 70%, expo. +60. On switch setting "0" all are set at 100% and no expo. Gotta see what works best foryou. I fly mellowrightnow.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Sloberdog

Thanks Saburo. I ended up flying with 80% and 100%, that is cool capability option you can do on these dx6i radios.

So after flying with the new motor 9x, it is dying on me. Called HorizonHobby and they explained that these micro motors need to cool down before putting in another battery. They will seize up due to excess heat. Once they overheat...they will start cutting out and become noticeably slower...and it just goes downhill from there. The customer service agent noticed my recent purchases and offered to send me a replacement motor for the motor I just purchased...will be sometime next month as they back-ordered. PZ has great customer service. I will be much kinder to the new motor and micro PZ planes.

So everyone with a micro PZ plane...let the motor cool down between batteries...so much for switching batteries like a race team pit crew.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Saburo Sakai

Cool report, Dog! Yup, Horizon is the bestwith their customers. Glad they let you know about running their little motors24/7 being a bit much wihtout a cool-down period. Sloberdog the flying animal!Gotta get some more birds to fly while the other bird cools down. That's a very American solution! Go, brother!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Sloberdog

Brilliant idea Saburo! Just ordered the "[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/umx-sbach-342-bnf-EFLU4180]UMX Sbach 342[/link]", now I can let my T-28 cool down between flights. Hopefully the Sbach brushless motor will be worry free...will still have the T-28 to fly to insure that I let it cool down....if that even matters for brushless motors.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 AM
javier668

ORIGINAL: Sloberdog

Thanks Saburo. I ended up flying with 80% and 100%, that is cool capability option you can do on these dx6i radios.

So after flying with the new motor 9x, it is dying on me. Called HorizonHobby and they explained that these micro motors need to cool down before putting in another battery. They will seize up due to excess heat. Once they overheat...they will start cutting out and become noticeably slower...and it just goes downhill from there. The customer service agent noticed my recent purchases and offered to send me a replacement motor for the motor I just purchased...will be sometime next month as they back-ordered. PZ has great customer service. I will be much kinder to the new motor and micro PZ planes.

So everyone with a micro PZ plane...let the motor cool down between batteries...so much for switching batteries like a race team pit crew.

You are lucky, i have over US 2000 on HH stuff and they cant send a replace for the cheap motor of my P51, lasted 3 packs and dont start for itself and loss 50% of power.
They say the same stupid answer about the temp and brushed, I have a lot of rc with brushed motors and not die after 20 minutes of use.
Very sad, im no happy with the Customer service. They dont want spend US 5 in shipping.

Regards!

Old 03-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Saburo Sakai

Javier, tell Horizon Hobby Customer Service that, "Saburo says, 'Help Javier!' ." Horizon Hobby has always been good to Saburo. They even make Saburo new Zero fighter!
Con mucho gusto!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:46 AM
nave88

Took my batteries from my mcpx (200 mAH  3.7 30c) I get between 13 and 15 minutes of fast flying flight time they charge on the same unit the plane comes with as well. You just have to have the little addapter cord that the mcpx provides I'm sure you can buy it online. The battery is larger and fit snug in the compartment I didn't notice a weight issue but found the cg is nearly impossible to miss. WIN WIN WIN you can't go wrong with this I have about seven batteries now and am never on the ground
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Saburo Sakai

Hey thanks for the tip, nave88. That could be a go-to battery for the T-28 and other micros when we add LED lights to them so we can fly them 24-7. I like the SF Design lights, personally, and I've put their link somewhere on this site but will come back later with it here.....
http://www.sf-design-solutions.com/
Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 AM
nave88

Thanks for the link can't wait to get some I've been looking for these lights for a few months now and could only find tiny bright lights which are impossible to come across now a days
Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

Now I can dive bomb the 3d hotshots...

Because of the added wieght, the plane flys like a brick. Italso has the tedancy to spin if rolle onto its side. you have to use a lot of rudder in the turns. landings are hot, and often end up in a nose over. (cracks in runway) However, since the modual is attached via velcro an a rubber band, all I have to do is open up the fuse and unplug the wire to remove it. I am considering a Eflie brushless motor for it because the smart people at spectrum gave a programming option for a seperate brushless esc and motor in the reciever itself. I would certainly help the power issues I have encountered with the bomb dropper.

Name:	Qo39699.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1759149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf11982.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1759150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53427.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1759151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic85156.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1759152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc40472.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1759153  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Saburo Sakai

Keep up the good fight against the terrorists and continue to pummel them withheavy ordnance of destruction. To glory in victory....
Old 05-08-2012, 02:38 PM
WaffleMan

lol... Its just a foam dart like the type young kids shoot from nerf guns. The real flight performance killer is the popsicle stick the assembally is attached to. I am considering a revision with a foam backboard instead of wood.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Fuzzylime

Hey guys,

A total noobie here. Been flying 120 SR and msr x helis so far and am bored. A guy at my lhs touted the micro t28 and I have it. I am eager to learn a) any tips you guys might give someone new to aeros and b) what DX6i settings you might recommend. I saw the earlier post about 80% Dual rates. do you use expos on an aircraft like this? Thanks, and glad to find folks like you!!
Old 06-16-2012, 04:50 PM
WaffleMan

The T-28 is designed o be Ready-to-fly right out of the box with no adjustment. If you think the rates are to high you can tune them back, but that is your choice. I didn't adjust them on mine.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Fuzzylime

Ok, Waffleman. thanks.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Saburo Sakai

Yo, Fuzzy, Waffle'sgot this one I guess. What I did was program in about 70% throw on the surfaces through the DX6ito start with on one of each of the toggle switch positions (I put any altered throw on switch position "1" and keep position "0" virgin). It'll slow everything down a bit, she won't fly off the handle when your thumbs do, and you'll maybe get a better feel to start with.Then if you want to make her react quickly, just flip the toggle switches and you're atfull throws. You can also slow her response down from "spazzy twitchy" thumbs by programming in say, 50-100% negative expo on the same switch position.
And you can also end up way over-programming in stuff when you really just need to get out and fly these little babiesI sure do!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Fuzzylime

Thanks, Saburo. I'm taking notes from all of you! With heli's I would use the DR/Combi switch on the DX6i, which toggles all the individual switches at once, rather than having to pop each one over. Might that be a mistake with the T28?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:17 PM
WaffleMan

Depends on your style of flying. If you want only one at a time, you would want the individual switches. But it gets annoying if you want to switch between full and decreased on everything instead of just one axis of control, so you could program them all to one switch. With this plane, the control surfaces are not really big enough to make it nessecary or even helpful to separate the switches because the high end still isn't extreme throws like on some 3D machines. But it really dosen't matter, try both and decide what you like. Nobody is going to tell you how you HAVE to set it up, only what they like the best. It is your plane, you make the decision.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:44 AM
Saburo Sakai

yeah we got way too many options-it's good to be spoiled sometimes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.