Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

NanoPhan - Thrust Vectoring Nano Single Copter

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

NanoPhan - Thrust Vectoring Nano Single Copter

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:07 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now this flies like a real Mono

Installed the newly designed wings. It took me a while to re-balance it (which is a real ***** for the smaller units) but then: boom baby!

There are 2 flights with different setups in this video. First 2 minutes is the first flight without the front wing. It flies pretty good but at 1:30 minute mark it loses balance, telling me needs a little upgrade. Then I fly it a little more until my old batteries die at 2 minute mark.

Then I installed the front wing that I use on some of my units. This flight is after 2 minute mark. It tilts better and flies really well. But this is a test and I have to push it harder and harder. At almost full stick & full horizontal at 3 minute mark it lost it. But its fine, I fly it a little longer after with some cool close passes.

Now I will calibrate the max tilt angle on the FC and we are good to put on the new batteries and have some fun!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxGQ...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxGQUpHJZy4&feature=youtu.be
Old 01-16-2017, 06:56 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Testing the flight time with the new batteries while having a little sunset flight fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptTf...ature=youtu.be

The flight time is a solid +3 minutes, which is really good for a nano. Flies like a dream I built multiple 40mm edf nano units in the past. I had all kinds of problems from low fan power to stabilization or electrical problems… In the end this way or that way all were totaled. It is ironic to me that the successful unit turned out to be a 35mm fan in a carbon armor. Feels good having this figured out in the end…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptTf1QQuAPI&feature=youtu.be
Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

30mm EDF Mono Maya learning to stabilize in the air with the first tests. Challenging project, being the smallest Nano yet and CG restrictions trying to fit in to a sphere.

We'll see if it makes fully airborne with good maneuverability...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170206_210741.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	994.5 KB
ID:	2200043  
Old 02-08-2017, 07:52 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR5wRB43cZw&feature=youtu.be
Old 02-11-2017, 05:25 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Replaced the old battery with a new one and after a couple of tests I could get a longer flight time without crashing. It still crashed in the end and broke it, but good experience was gained with this first MonoMaya prototype. I have a very good idea on the direction to go to get a real Mono out of this cute ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxQE...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxQELYjcD-c&feature=youtu.be
Old 03-04-2018, 02:22 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

The new MonoMaya. This one has a 35mm EDF and a carbon fiber frame. MonoMaya is a challenging project. Airflow, heat dissipation, weight distribution and internal design are all very tricky and hard to deal with. The first try was last year these times with a 30mm EDF. I always wanted to revisit since then. The carbon frame added some weight therefore the normal 2S setup didn’t support the flight. So, I switched over to 3S and tried to make the necessary changes to deal with extra heat, etc… 3S batteries that I have are very old it’s not holding the altitude for along time. Will order some new batteries and test again.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:42 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

I got some very inconsistent results from MonoMaya and decided to go a step back and fly it naked to make sure everything works fine. The problems that I found: 3s setup slowly fried the motor and the motor was about to give up and one of the servos was acting funny.

So, I replaced the fan and the funny servo. Recalibrated and ordered a set of new 2s batteries. Now the unit is alive and balanced. Now it’s time to build the spherical body around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S8R...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-12-2018, 09:34 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

I have been trying to figure how to come up with a durable and light spherical body for MonoMaya since the last video weeks ago. At last I came up with this carbon fiber flex body, which I can cover with whatever I want. I got inspired by an art work that I saw at a store

Old 04-14-2018, 01:44 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Oh… my… God! I have a love and hate relationship with the nano units… It’s so hard to get them right. After I built the carbon fiber sphere I had another series of failures. I had to cut the tube to reduce weight, rebuilt all carbon fiber supporting structure from a thinner and lighter sheet, fixing some other design errors. I went back to my notes from the successful nano units and build the exact replica of those nozzles and replaced one more servo. After all this work, it still took me tens of crashes and endless tuning hours and fixes to get the contraption to fly.

For the first time in a long time I felt like the times that I first started the MonoPhan project, where I used to have so little progress and so many crashes…

In the end it happened. Looks and flies nice Enjoy…

Old 04-15-2018, 04:36 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

I gotta admit a little hard to handle. You need to be on the controls every second. But the fact that it can handle outdoors is amazing. I felt like I can fly it much faster then I did...

Old 04-22-2018, 05:10 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

An experimental mechanism. I couldn’t have left let that carbon fiber exo-frame go to waste without trying something like this.

I have no idea if I can get it to fly but looks pretty cool and fully functional.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:23 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Only 120G And this is a windy day & still flies like hell. Extremely fun to fly!!! The scaled version of the new 64MM Mono didn't do the job 100%. Had to tweak the design. Dialed in pretty good now...

Old 08-11-2019, 11:26 AM
UN.RCONT.OL

This is the first test with a new 30mm fan. Good performance. The flight time is about 3min with these old batteries. I need to lighten it a little more with reducing some wiring and new batteries.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:23 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

My favorite unit ever. Small, agile, sounds awesome, surprisingly fast and a little hard to fly, testing your skills, and it doesn't easily break Dying to put a cam on but waiting for my lighter batteries that I ordered. If they perform like these nanotechs do, I will have lots of fun

Old 09-02-2019, 06:21 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Built a slightly larger Nano with a 40mm EDF to carry this nice nano FPV cam. Took a couple of tries but got it dialed in at last… Aerial and ground videos of the same flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zek3_dol8e8